We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

We are planning on spending 2 weeks in Scotland in June. ScotRail have told me that I can't purchase tickets from overseas (we are from Australia) and that we need to do this thru BritRail. Is that correct?

Also BritRail have Scottish Highlands pass available ($148/ person for 4days out of 8) Would this be value for money? Planning on firstly going from Glasgow to Fort William

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

I cant see why Scotrail would not allow you to book tickets. They certainly used to

https:/…online-bookings-overseas-visitors

No idea what your dollar amount equates to in Sterling which is the UK currency

Edited: 21 February 2014, 07:48
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

You can buy point to point tickets direct from the operator ScotRail as far as I am aware. What you can't buy from them is one of those expensive rail passes that foreign visitors are so keen on. The problem is, as these passes are not available to UK residents, none of us would use them or know much about them. Almost certainly a pass will be more expensive than advance tickets from ScotRail. But then you would have to use specific trains. Note that there isn't an extensive rail network in the highlands really.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

I think they are saying that they won't post tickets overseas and also that rover tickets cannot be picked up at a machine - therefore if OP insists on buying in advance Britrail is an option

Rover tickets are available locally - though maybe not the exact same ones as Britrail

That price looks reasonable though

Edited: 21 February 2014, 08:28
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

"That price looks reasonable though"

I suppose it depends on where the OP wants to go and what journeys the Britrail pass covers

Glasgow to Ft William can be had for £13.30 single - just for a comparison figure.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

Assuming you mean Aussie dollars not US. $148 for 4 days out of 8 is not particularly good value, IMO, compared with advance purchase rates such as that quoted by Williamnt. And as Akkarin points out, the highland rail network doesn't go everywhere, by any means. Travelling around, you would probably need to use other means of transport as well, such as the long distance buses run by Citylink.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,937 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

$148 AUD is around £80 so actually the pass is quite good value as it is also valid on some bus & ferry routes

Features:

Valid on the following rail lines:

- Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig

- Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh

- Inverness - Wick/Thurso

- Inverness - Aberdeen

- Inverness - Aviemore

Allows you to explore by hopping on and off the trains as you wish.

Valid on the following Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry routes:

- Oban - Mull

- Mallaig - Skye

Valid on the following Scottish Coaches:

- Scottish Citylink/ West Coast Motors: Oban/Fort William - Inverness

- Stage coach in the Highlands: Thurso - Scrabster

You can also just hop on and off where you want without penalty so actually it does seem quite good value at around £20 per day. I guess you might be able to save a few quid per day by booking ahead of time but the pass does seem to give you the convenience of flexibility.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

Thanks Ronaldo - I didn't know that, and it makes a lot of difference. I agree that with the Calmac and Citylink routes thrown it, it's pretty good value.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

Highland Rover is available from any staffed station in the UK

www.scotrail.co.uk/content/highland-rover-0

If you happen to be aged 55+ then you can travel anywhere in Scotland (after 0915 weekdays) with Club 55 for £19 return.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club-55

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

Club 55 is a good deal but Scotrail tend not to have this promotion on during the summer.

Buying a Highland Rover ticket at a rail station on the day is £81.50 so you are not really saving much by buying it in advance in Australia.

10. Re: BritRail Scottish highlands Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:19