We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
123 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

Dear Forum Members,

I am planning a short visit to Scotland, while my husband and I are in England in early June. From the looks of it, we will have 5 nights and 6 days for Scotland (admittedly it's short to take in all the sights and wonders of Scotland, but such is life!). Both my husband and I are in our early 30's; we love nature and history so our itinerary will combine both. We don't like to make our holidays too hectic, so don't necessarily need to cram every possible "attraction" in our itinerary.

I have been reading up on the forum about possible ideas and I do have two or three places that I have shortlisted. I am sharing it with you here, so that I can course correct if I am being too ambitious with my plan. Your advice will help me plan better.

Option 1: spend 2 nights in Edinburgh and then go up to Inverness , which will become our base to explore the Highlands and places such as Speyside and the Applecross Peninsula

Option 2: Spend 2 nights in Edinburgh and head to Skye where we spend another 2 nights. I am thinking we will be able to do a distillery tour and the picturesque train journey to Mallaig while in Skye. (The train journey seems very appealing to me)

For both these options, I am wondering if traveling by train is better and a more cost effective option for us or should we hire a car and drive around, which will give us the flexibility to explore more?

Please do take a look at the above options and let me know if I am planning okay or are there things which need to be added or removed?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Cheers

Gunjan

P.S - Oops, I forgot to mention that I have one extra night which I can't make up my mind where I should spend. Any suggestions on that, please? Thank you.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 09:05
Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

Both options sound fine but I would recommend hiring a car to make the most of your time and give you flexibility.

If you choose Option 2 then you would probably have to lose out on visiting Speyside.

You will need a car to get around Skye .Its certainly cheaper than taking the train everywhere and more flexible than having to be somewhere at a certain time in order to catch the next one.

It depends on what you don't want to miss out on which option you choose but you are sensible in not trying to cram too much into your short holiday.

If you DO choose Option 1 then perhaps take the train from Edinburgh to Inverness, then hire a car. You could probably pick up in Inverness and drop off in Edinburgh to give you more flexibility and less driving. The train journey from Edinburgh to Inverness gets more and more scenic once past Perth or Stirling, though compared to Dubai its very green!

Let us know how your plans are progressing

Woody x

Edited: 27 February 2014, 10:18
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
123 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

Dear Woody,

Thank you for your recommendations.

I am somewhat more inclined towards the first option and I was thinking of spending the extra night in Inverness itself, so that I can explore more of the Highlands keeping Inverness as a base. Would a day trip to Skye be possible from Inverness at all?

And yes...I am dying to see the greenery and scenic beauty of Scotland...will be a welcome break from the glitzy buildings and wide freeways of Dubai!

Thanks

Gunjan

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

thehebrideanexplorer.com/one-day-tours-from-…

A day trip to Skye from Inverness would be a long day, but its possible! See the above website - there are many more on offer if you just search in Google. I haven't done Skye in a day from Inverness myself!

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

The above may help - great website

W x

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

I'm in favour of taking the train because it gives you both the chance to relax and watch from the window. If driving one of you will not be able to look at the scenery. Especially in a fairly short space of time. If booked at the right time I can't see that it is expensive and you can always break the journey at some favourite spot if you wish.

Neither do you have to search out petrol stations instead or getting on with your travels

Hire a car when you get to Skye as it seems it will be necessary if you want to explore and time is limited. I have been following threads as I prefer public transport when possible so I can look out of the window and not at the road but this doesn't seem to be an option there.

5. Re: Advice for planning a 5 nights, 6 days Trip to Scotland.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:19