We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

Hello all,

Long time reader and user - first time poster

We are planning a trip to Ireland, Scotland and London in May

The trip is 17 days divided like this:

7.5 days Ireland

4.5 days Scotland

5 days London

Ireland was a joy to plan and I have already booked hotels and decided the route and sights we're going to visit.

Scotland is a bit of a problem since there are not many things that are close to eachother and more of a 2-5 hours drive which make things a-bit hard to add into a 4 day tour.

This is the route I have planned, please tell me if its doable and shouldn't be chaged

Landing in EDI airport at 11:10AM + renting a car

driving to the Forth Rail Bridge > The Falkirk Wheel > Stirling Castle

This will be the point where we end our day and drive to the hotel\b&b so we decided since its still afternoon we can drive up to 4 hours extra - Sleeping near Eilean Donan

Morning day 1: Isle of Skye > Scottish Highlands > Loch Ness + sleeping near Loch Ness

Morning day 2: Ben Nevis > Glencoe > Loch Fyne + sleeping near Loch Fyne (if we wont get to Loch Fyne in time yesterday we'll do it in day 4)

Morning day 3: Loch Lomond > Glasgow short tour > sleeping in Edinburgh City

Morning day 4: Edinburgh Castle > Scottish Parliament Building > Palace of Holyroodhouse > St Margaret's Loch > Arthur's Seat and if we have enough time: Royal Yacht Britannia

*** The flight to London is at 17:55 so we have enough time that day to travel

Do you think this is the best route possible for those following sights?

Have I missed anything along the way?

Thanks,

Amit

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

The diversion to loch ness seems unnecessary driving there and back. Just spend more time on other places; on Skye, or the mainland class to your existing route. Allow time to get out of the car and walk, admire the view, or whatever.

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

Do you think this is the best route possible for those following sights?

----

If by sights, you mean a lot of tarmac, then yes.

Scotland does not suit your sort of tick list tourism itinerary. The joy is exploring and experiencing, not driving for hours to tick off a list.

Slash it dramatically, and enjoy the places, not the tarmac

Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

Thanks for your replies,

We plan to visit each site for 2-4 hours my guess is that after all the nature we're going to experience each day we wont need more in each place.

Yes - driving by the car seems alot but as for what I've heard - Isle of Skye is worth the drive isn't it?

What would you scrape of the list that will help save time and we wont regret later on?

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

We plan to visit each site for 2-4 hours my guess is that after all the nature we're going to experience each day we wont need more in each place

--

For example. People would typically spend a week on Skye, its a massive place. 2 or 4 hours is pointless

What would you scrape of the list

---

The whole thing.

Realistically you need AT LEAST 1 full day in Edinburgh, if not more, a half day is pointless. If you want a bit of nature, and a bit of city, I'd go to the Isle of Arran for days 1-2 and come back to Edinburgh for 3 and 4. I certainly wouldnt bother doing some grand tarmac tour like you planned. I'd even be tempted to stay in Edinburgh the whole time, and do some day trips, Stirling, St Andrews and Loch Lomond would be obvious options

Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

I get what your'e saying,

Would focusing on the Loch Lomod area be a better choice with a day trip to Loch ness scraping the Isle of Skye totaly and adding more attractions/visits near Lomond?

I am keeping the Edinburgh half a day only because we're flying back from there, everything we visit in Edinburgh is counted as an extra

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

Fair enough, I'm not even Edinburgh's biggest fan, but I think a half day is missing out a huge amount of an interesting city

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

In 4 days pick one place you want to see, be it Skye (my choice) or Loch Ness or Loch Lomond, and have two nights in one place so that you are not driving all the time, Two hours on Skye is totally pointless.

Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

So driving to Isle of Skye and staying there for 2 days, then driving back to Loch ness for 1 day and finishing up in Edinburgh would be optimal?

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

No, just stay on Skye if you do that. Loch Ness is big boring but well known. Skye is a days drive each way. If you do Skye, do only Skye, not Loch Ness or Lomond or Edinburgh. If you want an island I'd still say Arran is a much better bet, much closer and more varied scenery on the island itself or even somewhere like Mull makes better sense

Edited: 02 March 2014, 13:09
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of Scotland in 4 days - Route help

I suspect Amit will want to visit places he's heard of therefore won't even consider Arran. I would agree it's a nice place, and I'm going there fairly soon, but it's probably not on his hit-list.

-----

With only 4 days, the advice in earlier posts is harsh but absolutely true. Do Skye only. Or maybe do Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. Don't drive around all over the place. You need much longer of you want to do that, otherwise it's a road-trip and you learn little about Scotland.

You might consider one of the trips organised by Rabbies or Timberbush tours - anything from 1 day upwards - because they'll take you to the places you want to go with the services of a courier.