We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Scotland?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Scotland?

We are planning a trip to London and the Lake District in late May and will be renting a car. We'll have 3 extra days to kill and would like to visit Scotland. We've never been so we would love to focus on scenic areas. We've considered driving to Edinburgh and Inverness but aren't sure whether that would be the best use of the available time.

What would you recommend as an itinerary?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

Hi. Where do you need to be at the end of the 3 days? That isn't long, i'd focus on Edinburgh. If you really wanted to push as far north as Inverness, plan to fly south again, or take the sleeper train, rather than driving all the way back. What attracts you to Inverness, specifically?

Abs :)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 07:47
Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
557 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

3 days and travelling from the Lake District

Inverness is too far, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs at a push if you like driving but would suggest St Andrews & Fife Coast would be far enough.

Edinburgh and cars don’t mix well so if visiting for the day, leave the car somewhere and get the train or bus in.

Ferrytoll is the obvious choice here

edinburgh.gov.uk/info/…park_and_ride

Halbeith is a new one but Ferrytoll is closer to Edinburgh

www.halbeath.org/htmlpages/index.html

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

Thanks for the replies! Nothing particularly attracts us to Inverness other than the drive up there. But if staying farther south is just as scenic I have no problem skipping it.

And actually our window has shortened. We'll stay in London for 3 days (no car, just tubing) then rent a car and take off on a Sunday and be free to roam until Tuesday evening when we'll need to be back in London (catching the train to Paris next morning). Between Sunday morning and Tuesday evening we want to see the Lake District and however much of Scotland we can squeeze in.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

You're not really going to do the lakes and Scotland justice in just under 3 days. I think you need to pick one or the other. If it's Scotland I would ditch the hire car idea and get the train straight from London to Edinburgh for a couple of nights. You could have flown straight from there to Paris which would save a lot of time but it sounds like you've already booked the train. The lakes is worth hiring a car to get to as it will make it easier to get around but still you've only got one whole day there with travel there on Sunday and back on Tuesday. It's a fairly long drive for the time you'll have when you arrive. Have you considered options closer to London e.g. The Cotswolds?

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
557 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

It’s a minimum 5-hour boring drive, probably 6 or more in reality to the Lake District and of course similar going back – a total waste of effort given that you have limited time to play with.

I would give it a rethink and going straight to Edinburgh as suggested in post 4 is one option.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

Plus another 2.5-3hrs drive lakes to Edinburgh!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

Thanks for the suggestions. We hadn't yet booked the Chunnel. It was just something we thought would be fun to do but I checked flights from Edinburgh to Paris and was surprised how affordable they are. I think that's a great idea and decided to take that option. It gives us a bit more time in Edinburgh so win-win. We are still thinking of renting a car and taking our time going to Edinburgh. We would like to see the countryside and would love to get even a brief taste of the scenery of the lake district. We'll get the car in London, stay overnight in Windermere, and then drop the car off in Edinburgh next day. That will give us two full days in Edinburgh before moving on to Paris.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

That sounds a lot more sensible if you don't mind the drive! Enjoy your trip :-)

9. Re: 3 days in Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17