We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan three days

Necochea, Argentina
3 posts
Save Topic
Plan three days

Hello, I'll be in the UK in may/july, and I'll have three days to devote to Scotland. I have a Britrail pass, so I'd free to come and go. I need some advice on how to get the most out of the three days, I haven't booked any accommodation yet, although I love Edinburgh, I'm not sure if I should book the three nights there. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,839 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan three days

Is that 3 full days Mene? You don't have to travel anywhere for part of those days?

For so short a time I would suggest staying in one place and taking a day trip out into the countryside.

Be aware that there will be the Commenwealth Games and Edinburgh Festivals over this perios so if you can go in May you will have more choice for accommodation. And you will need to book somewhere to stay soon for the same reason. It is going to be very busy and the Games time was expensive from the beginning.

so the sooner you can set some dates and start checking the accommodation the better.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan three days

If you've been to Edinburgh before it might be worth trying somewhere else out? If you've got a rail pass you could take the train up to Inverness, stay there for a night or 2 and do a return on the scenic Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh line, or alternatively stay in Glasgow and try out the famously scenic W Highland line from Glasgow to Mallaig:

(seat61.com/WestHighlandLine.htm#.UzCGT8sgGSM)

Day trips possibilties by train could include Stirling, St Andrews etc.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 19:30
Necochea, Argentina
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan three days

Thanks a lot for your advice Suebovington. They would be full three days, as I want to see some of Wales after that. Do you think Edinburgh would be the most appropriate city to stay in? What do you think is a 'must see/do' in Scotland?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan three days

May/July? The Edinburgh Festival is August; the Commonwealth games (Glasgow, July) will have a knock-on effect on Edinburgh hotels.

So not sure whether you're here for a short time in either May/July (in whch case pick May) or you are here for a long time including a 3-day pass. The advice I'd offer is *very* dependent on knowing which.

Your first post sounds like you're familiar with Edinburgh; but your last post suggests pretty mcuh the opposite.

So let's sort out first: have you been to Edinburgh before?

Edited: 24 March 2014, 23:26
Necochea, Argentina
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan three days

Thank you Derek.

I made a mistake in the first post. It'd be the last days of May or the beginning of June. And although I have been Edinburgh before, it was seventeen years ago! I will be for only three days, and can't decide which scenic lines to choose from. I am thinking now of staying in Edinburgh for two nights and one in Inverness. Is it a good idea?

6. Re: Plan three days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:15