We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

I'm leaving for Scotland on Saturday 12 April and arriving in Glasgow on Sunday 13th.

My itinerary is as follows:

Sunday 13 April: Arrive Glasgow 11.30 am - make my way from airport to Premier Inn Buchanan Galleries; ride the hop-on hop-off City Sightseeing bus to get my bearings

Monday 14 April: Use the hop-on hop-off bus for sightseeing around Glasgow

Tuesday 15 April: Catch the train from Glasgow to Mallaig; ferry to Armadale where I'll pick up a hire car (from Syke Car Hire); drive to Portree where I'll stay with my mother and brother for a week

Tuesday 22 April: Return hire car at Kyle of Lochalsh; catch the train from Kyle to Inverness; stay in a B&B in Inverness

Wednesday 23 April: Catch the train from Inverness to Edinburgh; stay in a B&B for two days; explore/relax

Thursday 24 April: Take the Hairy Coo free tour of the Highlands (hope I'm not too old!)

Friday 25 April: Some last minute sightseeing in Edinburgh before making my way to the airport for an evening flight.

I've booked and paid for the Premier Inn, Glasgow City Sightseeing bus, train tickets (advance fares) and Hairy Coo tour (booked anyway); so I'm all ready to go.

Will update you on how it went when I can (probably when I get back, as I don't have a laptop, tablet or smart phone. Thanks for the advise I received for this trip.

Suzanne :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Suzy that is a brilliant schedule - enjoy it, and let's hope we get good weather (I'll be in the Hebrides at the same time, though not on Skye).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Seems a bit of a shame not to have more time in Edinburgh. Only about a day and a half since you will be heading off on your Highland Tour. Personally I would drop that.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Thanks Dhmellor. Paul, thanks for your feedback. I've already been to Edinburgh so it's not a priority for me this time. However, I know there's plenty to see and do there, and will be back, no doubt. :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Good stuff. Enjoy your visit

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Well, I've been back a week and had a great time. I've been busy putting photos on Facebook but I promised a trip report, so here goes. Everything went according to plan, and the weather was, for the most part, perfect - sunny and even warm on occasion. The only thing I missed out on was the Hairy Coo tour which was cancelled (the day before) due to the bus breaking down, so that meant I spent an extra day in Edinburgh after all. That was lucky because the next day was beautiful and I walked part way up Arthur's Seat to magnificent views. I'll post my trip report in the relevant forums; eg Glasgow, Isle of Skye, so that it's broken up into sections.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

That's a shame about your day trip but glad you enjoyed it. Arthur's seat is a trip you have to do on the spur of the moment based on the weather, you can guarantee if you plan to go up it will be thick fog and blowing a gale! Thanks for the feedback :-)

When are you returning for more? ;-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

Hi edinem, I may be back as soon as September next year, if my partner is willing to pay. ;)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

My Glasgow trip report is here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186534-i211-k7…

And my Isle of Skye trip report is here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186585-i749-k7…

I'll be writing one on Inverness and Edinburgh as well, when I find the time. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

My Inverness trip report is here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186543-i626-k7…

And my Edinburgh trip report is here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k7…

For anyone who is interested. :)

10. Re: Coming to Scotland - 12th - 27th April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:19