We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Handicap Required

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf Handicap Required

We plan to be in Scotland the first week of May. We would like to play Golf at least once in the Dundee area. But there seems to be a handicap required at most of the courses. Reasonably good golfers, though we don't have handicap proof. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
722 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Handicap Required

Many courses do not require a handicap certificate even if they indicate that this is the case. Muirfield in East Lothian, of course, does require one.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Handicap Required

Very few courses require handicap certificates. You can simply turn up at the vast majority

Virginia
Level Contributor
912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Handicap Required

I had my handicap card checked at The Old Course in St Andrews, and at the Championship Course at Carnoustie, but not at any of the other 6 or 8 I've played in Scotland/ One course I can highly recommend in that area is Panmure, not far from Carnoustie. Its a lovely course, challenging, moderately priced, and there's no handicap requirement. I'm sure there are many more, but that's one I've played and enjoyed.

http://www.panmuregolfclub.co.uk/

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Handicap Required

second DaveP's choice, Panmure is a lovely links course right next to Carnoustie. Bit easier to play and on the pocket.

If you prefer a Parkland course, try Downfield - also in Dundee, but near Camperdown park

www.downfieldgolf.com

most courses will 'require' an handicap, even though the pro / starter might not ask in most cases. This is to

make sure they can remove you from the course if you are a 'hacker'...... Reasonably good golfers usually have a great time in Scotland

5. Re: Golf Handicap Required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:16