We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit - looking for input

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
157 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
First visit - looking for input

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland, then on to Scotland in September. We are young 30s and very active people. We love hiking, scenery, castles, and some history.

I'm currently trying to put together a great itinerary for us. We are weather ready (rain jackets, hiking waterproof boots), and rain will not stand in our way!!! We have been reading the forums here on trip advisor which has helped us put together this itinerary, but I have not found one identical to this to see if we are "crazy."

Our must sees include Edinburgh for a few days, Stirling Castle, Glencoe, Isle of SKye. I think we are most looking forward to hiking, a distillery or two, and of course the castles and history.

Day 1: Flight from Dublin - land around 12:00 in Edinburgh. I think we will do some laundry, rest, and go to a pub this day (coming from 10 days in Ireland)

Day 2: Edinburgh

Day 3: Edinburgh

Day 4: Pick up rental car - go to Callander, Ben A'an hike then on to Glencoe for another 2-3 hour hike (overnight Glencoe)

Day 5: Drive through Fort William - Eilean Donan Castle, and on to Portree (overnight here for 3 nights)

Day 6: Hike Old Man of Storr and Quiraing; kilt rock (drive to) (overnight in Portree)

Day 7: Hike to Fairy Pools, Talisker distillery (Is there something else we could see this day?)

DAy 8: Drive from Isle of Skye to Stirling (Stirling Castle) (overnight in Stirling) I know this is a long drive (should we stay near Edinburgh airport for flight - I'm not sure about the traffic from Stirling into Edinburgh. We don't mind to make it a late night, since it will be our last).

Day 9: drive to Edinburgh airport - catch flight

I'm open to adding one more day. Our flights are not set in stone yet.

Please let me know if I should change something, or if I'm driving past something that I need to see. I have been reading a lot on Scotland, and I feel brain over-loaded. If I forgot to post something that will help in your advice/input, please let me know, and I will respond as promptly as possible.

Thanks so much

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit - looking for input

Maybe day 7 add Neist Point as you are active hikers.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit - looking for input

Hi.

Your plan looks great! September is a nice time to come, and it is music to my ears that you aren't seeing the Scottish weather as an impediment. September can bring lovely mild days and sometimes an 'Indian summer', if you are lucky!

Have you seen the WalkHighland website? It is excellent as a resource for planning walks. Most of the big book shops in Edinburgh will sell OS maps for you.

Enjoy!!!

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit - looking for input

The traffic from Stirling to Edinburgh airport will really depend on the time of day. In rush hour (any time from 7am-10am) it will be busy but later and I'd say an hour or so providing there's been no incidents on the motorway. If you need to be at the airport before 10am I'd stay closer the night before.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
157 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit - looking for input

pucktime - thank you, we looked into Neist Point and that looks like a perfect addition to Day 7.

Abs140 - I have definitely been scanning the WalkHighland website. It has tons of great info. I will plan on picking up OS maps in Edinburgh now! Thank you.

edinem - Thank you, I think I will just plan staying closer to the airport, just in case. I'd hate to miss a flight due to incident on motorway, flat tire, etc. Although, maybe it would be a great excuse to stay longer!

5. Re: First visit - looking for input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15