We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Days in Scotland

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
6 Days in Scotland

Hi all,

I'm having a really rough time putting together a lose itinerary for my upcoming trip to Scotland.

We (my boyfriend and I) will be going to Scotland, by way of London, in mid-May. We would like to do things cheaply but if something is worth the money, we will budget for it. Ideally staying around 100-130 USD per day for both of us. We want a trip that has two or three big events/experiences per day with great options for smaller things to do that are flexible to move around in our schedule based on our mood that day. (So ideas both big and small are welcome... especially the small.)

I know we will be in in Edinburgh for two days and want to spend at least two days in the highlands (help - not sure where to go) and maybe one day on an island. Id love to explore a good variation of small towns and large cities.

Things we enjoy: brewery tours (could apply to distillery tours as well), ghost tours, hiking, adventure, boating (kayak or motor), eating really awesome food (no picky eaters here!), photography and live music.

Neither of us are really big on museums but if there are one or two that are A MUST SEE then I'd love to hear about it. We want some interactive, awesome experiences!

I need ideas people! Let me know if I missed any information that would help.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Does that budget include travel,accommodation and meals or is that just spending money for entry fees etc?

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

That cost will include meals and accommodation as well.

But we're not afraid to stay in Hostels!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Does your budget, approx £60-£90 pounds per day for two include accommodation?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Obviously my post missed your comment re accommodation

I would try and get lodging sorted sooner rather than later to see what money you may (or may not) have

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:00
Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Well we're trying to figure out where to go first. Once we know that then we can make reservations. But were budgeting 40-50USD (20-30£) for each night.

But again, our budget is a little flexible.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 19:28
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

You know you will be in Edinburgh so try and pin down some accommodation costs there for starters.

There is a deal on Premierinn rooms for £29 per room but not sure if any of your dates would fit in with the offer.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Will do, but housing aside - any suggestions about things to do?

I see you're in Edinburgh - anything you'd suggest doing or seeing that isn't a museum?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Walk in the Botanic Gardens, climb Arthurs seat, have lunch in the shadow of the Forth Rail bridge, stroll down (or up the) Royal Mile, eat dinner in Leith,take a picture from Calton Hill, looks at the ideas of things to do on the Edinburgh forum.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Thanks for that - but I've already looked at the ideas forum for Edinburgh.

I'm also looking for ideas of destinations in the Highland region. If you have any ideas of good places to go... I've spent a good month looking online for ideas but am feeling a bit of information overload and its making it difficult to decide.

I'm looking for more in depth answers - not that yours aren't helpful but I've already looked at a million blogs/forums/articles.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 Days in Scotland

Are you wanting places accessible by Punic transport or will you hire a car? If the former then somewhere on the Edinburgh-Inverness train line is probably your best bet. Aviemore would be a good base for walking and you should get a distillery in too depending on bus routes.