We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

india
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

Hi friends ,

I am touring Scotland in May and am self driving from Edinburgh to Inverness to Portree to Oban before continuing to Keswick. i have a day in spare after Oban before travelling to Keswick. I am currently planning to stay a night in Glasgow or add a night to keswick where i am currently booked for 2 nights.

Need suggestion on where to spend the day.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

Glasgow would break the journey - googlemaps is predicting it's just over 4hrs from Oban to Keswick but that will depend on traffic and time of day. Glasgow is a very different city to Edinburgh and worth a visit if you've not been.

Another option would be to explore the area around Loch Lomond if you don't want a day in a city.

People easily spend a week in the Lake District so I wouldn't worry about not having anything to do for an extra day if you go straight to Keswick. That said, if you're not into walking and the outdoors maybe you don't need an extra day? What do you intend to do when you get there?

india
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

Thanks Edinem ,

I am ok with outdoors , especially since I like photography. However considering that I won't come again to Scotland very soon , would not mind spending the day in Glasgow. My idea was to break the journey and at the same time enjoy site seeing.

There are kids accompanying us which will decide what is best for us. Spending time exploring around Loch Lomond seems to be a great idea . Where should we base ourselves.

If we decide to stay in Glasgow , what are the sightseeing , we should do. All suggestions are most welcome.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

If you've only got a day in Glasgow I'd suggest using the hop on hope off bus service as some of the attractions are spread over a quite a wide area (it's a much bigger city than Edinburgh) and you'll also get the history that way too from the commentary.

http://www.citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/

The kids would probably like the science museum and riverside museum along the way. As far as I know both are free entry.

In terms of a base it really depends on budget but as you've got a car there aren't that many hotels in the centre of Glasgow that will have parking....although some do but it might be expensive. One option might be to stay on the outskirts of the city and use the bus or train to get into town. As you're coming from the north and leaving to the south there isn't one side in particular that I'd recommend (avoid the east of the city as that would involve unnecessary travel!).

india
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

More changes. We have decided to add on the day at Keswick since it is available and delete our planned stay at Glasgow. Since we will be spending 5 nights at Skye and Lake District together , where should we stay in between our drive from portree to keswick.

Currently we are booked at Oban for the night. However we are vegetarians and hence the good sea food at Oban would not serve our purpose. Considering the distance it appears that oban is not mid way to our journey. The options would be oban, keswick or Loch Lomond . I would not mind staying in a rural setting if there is any such option.

india
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

Sorry , the options would be oban , Glasgow or Loch Lomond .

6. Re: Oban to Keswick , should i spend a night at Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:16