We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish highlands or cornwal???

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Scottish highlands or cornwal???

Hi all..... I have a couple of my friends travelling down from Dubai in July this year to visit UK... They want a fantastic beach, cliff/mountain experience ...staying in a place for 3 days max...so here is my confusion as to which place would be the best one for the above said... Scottish highlands or Cornwall?? Can anyone here kindly suggest what would be the best for all (6 adults) as we r looking for a great , peaceful, value for money and serene outdoor experience .

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

July in Cornwall will be busier than The Highlands that's for sure. Some of the west and north highland beaches and scenery are second to none....if you get the weather and that goes for Cornwall too. I have been to Cornwall and Scotland wins hands down for beauty and wide open uncrowded places. Suggest you fly LGW to Inverness to save time and then rent a car or people carrier.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

This may help

Woody x

Rotherham,
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

Scottish Highlands is by far the mostly beautiful and peaceful of the 2 places. Although I'd have to say that being on the west side in July could lead to death by midgies. They really are that bad! There are some beautiful places to visit - if you enjoy walking (or just think you could manage to saunter a couple of miles), there are some lovely forest trails and hill paths to explore. I have gone upto the area around Fort Augustus every year for the past 17 years and, although not a walker, I have sauntered miles on various Forestry Commission and other trails. You can walk miles and not see a soul. Peaceful, beautiful and well worth a visit.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

Beach and mountain?? It's Loch Morlich, Aviemore, Highland

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-morlich.…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

West coast of Scotland has some amazing beaches and scenery. Look around Lochinvar or Gairloch and invest in some good midge repellant! You won't get mountains in Cornwall and it will be packed with holiday makers.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

Cornwall will do you for beach and cliff, but fails to qualify under mountain. Beautiful coastal paths, nice fishing villages, and a very slick tourist experience. The most spectacular place to visit would probably be the Eden Project.

If you want spectacular mountains you could head for Torridon, way up in the North West. The area between there and Ullapool is fantastic; and further northwards you have a bleaker ancient landscape with hulking mountains such as Suilven. You could, for example, head for Achiltibuie passing STac Pollaidh on the way, with beautifal and empty white sand beaches nearby. And the Summer Isles to visit.

Easiest access would be to fly into Inverness and then hire a car.

SO if you're meaning beach as in Costa del Sol - forget it, Scotland's beaches won't get near that. We're talking about miles of solitude - broken by a few other people also looking for solitude.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

Agree that Wester Ross area of the highlands is fantastic for your needs. Gairloch beach, Big Sand beach, Redpoint Beach. All within a 30 minute drive. Lovely lovely area with stunning beaches and mountains at your doorstep. Plenty of other activities including sealife trips, golf, fishing, pony trekking, lovely tea rooms and restaurants. Hire a cottage (for a week), or stay in one of the many B&Bs in the area.

If you google image search the beaches I mention above you will see what I mean.

Abs :)

7. Re: Scottish highlands or cornwal???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:18