We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose between the many rail passes, cards and Rovers

Browntown...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose between the many rail passes, cards and Rovers

Is there a website or somewhere where I can put in my travel plans in Scotland and see how to save the most money? We are a group of 6 people traveling together--some are over 55, we will be in the Highlands, on Skye, and in Edinburgh. Between the Highland and Central Rovers, the Friends Pass, Two Together, etc, etc, it is very hard to know which combination of passes will help us the most....

Mentioned in this post
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Stirling Highland...
2,181 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,036 Reviews
from US$65.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$346.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$583.00*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
108 Reviews
from US$288.60*
US$320.70
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,436 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose between the many rail passes, cards and Rovers

There's no magic wand I'm afraid Carole. You just have to compare the costs of the various options and see which one works best for your party and where you will be travelling to. I find a spreadshett works well for me.

Anyone who meets the age requirements can get a Senior Railcard. If there is anyone under 26 they can get a Young Person's Railcard, and for anyone else it would have to be Two Together Railcard - but there may be an odd one out as there isn't enough info on your group to know!

When you are travelling will also have a bearing, as some routes will have Advance fares available which can offer good value but are restricted to your booked train only. These fares only become available twelve weeks at most (usually less) before the date of travel, and the cheapest fares will sell out first, sometimes very quickly on popular routes.

Rovers and Rangers usually have some time restrictions on weekdays, which is something else to be aware of when doing the maths.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 22:51
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose between the many rail passes, cards and Rovers

I agree with the poster above, no magic want I'm afraid however at least there is only one train operating company to deal with. Scotrail also run a club55 promotion at various times of the year, but this has typically been withdrawn during July/Aug.

As Skye is one of your destinations you should also look at the Citylink website http://www.citylink.co.uk/ as an alternative to using the trains.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
3. Re: How to choose between the many rail passes, cards and Rovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:16