We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please! - Solo 7 day Scotland trip October

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please! - Solo 7 day Scotland trip October

Hello,

Sorry in advance if this is a repeated question but I couldn't find one similar already posted.

I am heading to Scotland in early October this year by myself, for approx 6- 7 nights. I will be meeting a friend at the end in Edinburgh which I have already been to, so I'm happy to either spend one day or little/no time there. Because of this, I was thinking of starting in Glasgow (a Friday) and ending in Edinburgh. I could however start anywhere as I will be coming from London via the train. I will be travelling the whole time via public transport - any recommendations?

I am interested in seeing all the sights - natural e.g. cliffs. islands, the highlands etc, castles, visiting distilleries, pubs, a museum here and there and a spot of shopping.I want to have a busy schedule but not too hectic that I can't enjoy the moment.

Any suggestions are more than welcome and the real 'must do and go to's' would be great please!

Thank you very much!

Anna

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please! - Solo 7 day Scotland trip October

Starting in Glasgow sounds like a good idea, plenty trains from London so easy/cheap access, then spend a couple of days there - easily covers the museums, pubs and shopping angle!

There are plenty busses and trains north from Glasgow to the Highlands, so it just depends where you fancy. If you want to head to an island then you could go to Oban and catch the ferry to somewhere like Mull or a train to Ardrossan and try out Arran. Northwest is probably best imo - you could take the bus or scenic W Highland railline from Glasgow to Glencoe/Ft William/Mallaig. Other areas with decent public transport access include the likes of Highland Perhshire (Pitlochry etc), Stirling and St Andrews, which is coastal and provides a nice contrast with the Highlands.

There are also a few companies who do small group day/multi-day tours to the Highlands from Glasgow and Edinburgh that seem to get good reviews, so you might be interested in checking them out as well as public transport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please! - Solo 7 day Scotland trip October

Thank you very much Ne_Fifer!

3. Re: Itinerary help please! - Solo 7 day Scotland trip October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:17