We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

My husband and I are taking my seventy-six year old mother to Scotland in August. We will be there for a week (seven full days) and I am wondering how we should divide the time between Edinburgh and seeing some other sights. In addition to Edinburgh we definitely want to go to the Highlands. If anyone can advise about how much time would be good to spend in each place, and if there's anything else we ought to try and squeeze in, I'd be appreciative.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

How does your mother handle large mileages in the car? How will she be on foot around Edinburgh?

I'd suggest maybe a split 3 days in Edinburgh 4 in the Highlands. Edinburgh has a compact centre and travelling by foot is an advantage on places like the Royal Mile. Bus services are good; a car is a disadvantage because the roads are definitely not gridlike, roads are generally busy, and parking is difficult.

Hire a car from the airport at the end of your Edinburgh portion, and head NW. If you have just 4 days I'd suggest Stirling - Glencoe - Oban - Loch Lomond - The trossachs. You could extend this to Skye or Inverness but only if you like spending a lot of time in the car.

The problem is I don't know your likes and dislikes, so I think the best thing is to do some further research by looking on http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ for places to visit near some of the locations I've mentioned. Most of those places will have websites and TA will probably have reports. Only you can decide what you must visit.

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

This is really helpful, thank you. My mother is up for walking, but not strenuous hiking so we won't do any of the latter in the Highlands. She lived in Edinburgh in the 1960s and wants to see it again, but she never got to the Highlands and wants to see them as well. I was thinking of Inverness, which looks beautiful, but I will check out the route you suggest, as well as the website. We don't mind spending some time in the car; has been considering rail to Inverness. Thanks again!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

Hi. This August? Remember that it will be festival time in Edinburgh, so you will need to book accommodation ASAP. There will be thousands of performances going on, and you could spend you entire 7 days there with ease. I'd recommend 4/3 or 3/4 split, depending on how interested you are in the festival spirit.

A trip to Loch Lomond, Glen Coe and Oban would charm your mother, I'm sure.

Inverness is pleasant, and the drive impressive, however the A9 is not a particularly pleasant road to drive on, especially in the busy summer months.

Abs :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

Thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps we will give Inverness a miss.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

I've only ever been to Inverness on business but it's never struck me as somewhere I'd want to go on holiday! There are nicer areas round and about....Nairn just along the coast is beautiful or maybe somewhere around Aviemore or Grantown on Spey would be more scenic and give you the option of a day trip to Inverness and some low level walks.

Accommodation has to be your priority now for August in Edinburgh!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park is the gateway to the Highlands. The scenery there is stunning and you can get there in under an hour from Edinburgh.

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

Okay, helpful people, I am narrowing things down -- I even found lodging in Edinburgh! :)

For three days, which of the following do you recommend:

1). Stirling, Oban, Loch Lomond

2). Two nights in either Oban or Loch Lomond (if Oban, we would possibly take a day trip to Glencoe; there is no where to stay in Glencoe).

THANK YOU so much!

Dianna

Great Cumbrae...
Level Contributor
25 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

I always think that the west coast islands are great to see and very easy to get to. The Isle of Arran (Scotland in miniature) is good and the Isle of Cumbrae is fantastic, friendly and has some of the best (but under rated) views in the hole of Scotland.

I would defiantly think about one or both of these great places!

9. Re: dividing time between Edinburgh and other sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17