We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

Hi everybody!

Me and my friend are going to travel to Scotland in August. This is going to be our second trip. Last time we visited Edinburgh and Glasgow, were we saw the musems and main sights. We also took a daytrip to Stirling and took Rabbies 1 day Highlands tour. Our problem is that we would like to do something different, but we don't know where to begin. We haven´t booked our flights yet, but we have two options; our flight arrives and leaves either from Edinburgh or Glasgow. We are going to spend 7 to 8 whole days in Scotland. We are going to use public transport only.

We would like to do some walking/hiking and maybe rent bikes in beautiful scenery (to see nature, highlands, coastside, lakes, countryside, mountains, wilderness) --> but we are going to spend our nights in hotels/B&B or in a apartment were we could cook our own meals

We would like to visit some island --> at first we were thinking of visiting Skye, but we have dropped that idea

We would also like to do some shopping, to visit a few castles and museums, go to a ghost tour

As I said, we are going to use only public transport (bus and train) --> what place or places would be in short distance/easy access to make day trips?

We were thinking of taking the scenic Fort William - Mallaig train

Any advice about routes and places routes is welcome! Thank you!

Kirsi

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

Arran is easy to get to by train from Edinburgh or Glasgow and then ferry as a foot passenger. My parents spent a couple of days there without the car and managed fine on foot and the local buses.

Or you could get the train to Oban and then ferry over to Mull.

Aviemore is easily accessible by train and would give you plenty of options for outdoor activities with facilities on the doorstep (shops, pubs, restaurants etc) if you don't have a car.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

The places you mention are generally in the W Highlands and Islands - If you're travelling by public transport to these areas I think it's fair to say they're better connected to Glasgow by trains/busses than Edinburgh, so it would probably make sense to fly to Glasgow.

The Ft William-Mallaig line is part of the W Highland that starts in Glasgow - the whole line is scenic so maybe after arriving you could catch the train north to Mallaig. Given you're already up there you could then take the ferry to Skye from Mallaig. Alternatively you could take a train or bus to Oban where many of the ferries to islands like Mull depart. If you're buying train tickets it's generally much cheaper to buy them about 12 weeks in advance from www.scotrail.co.uk

I'm not personally persuaded Aviemore is the nicest town tbh, but it has much of what you want in the surroundings and is a easily reached from Glasgow and Edinburgh by train or bus. Others towns you could consider are Pitlochry (although it can be a bit touristy), Oban etc. Tbh, there are places all over Scotland that can provide what you mention. The problem you will face in many cases is that these are rural areas and public transport is often very limited, which will obviously dictate what you can and can't do. There is certainly an argument that it is better to hire a car.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

I agree Aviemore may not be my first choice with a car but if you're dependent on public transport it's a safe bet!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

http://www.visitaviemore.com/

See if it's what you are looking for. Lots of reasonably priced accommodation, great transport links and superb high and low level walks.

You are 30 minutes to Inverness by bus or train which gives you access to the Moray Fifth coastal area plus transport links to Fort William for you train trip to Mallaig.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/inverne…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

Woody x

5. Re: Visiting Scotland second time-help needed with the itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:16