We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobite Steam Train

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Jacobite Steam Train

When driving through Scotland this summer my husband and I will be driving through Fort William to drop off a couple of friends on the way to Mallaig to take the ferry to Skye. We have 2 nights on Skye. My dilemma is that I desperately want to do the Jacobite Steam Train, but with timing we wouldn't really be able to as the afternoon service gets back to Fort William at 20:25. My question is is it worth it to do the steam train and stay one night in Fort William after, and then have one night on Skye, or will the two nights on Skye be better? I don't feel like one night is enough but I really want to ride the steam train.. Alternatively, are there any good views of the Glenfinnan Viaduct on the drive to the Skye? That might suffice if I am unable to take the train.

Also, in terms of getting to Skye, is the ferry or Kyle of Lochalsh preferable? I was planning on taking the ferry there as e will be taking Kyle of Lochalsh on the way to Inverness.

Side note: Is Eilean Donan castle worth a gander?

Many thanks!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

'will the two nights on Skye be better?' - yes, much better.

'Alternatively, are there any good views of the Glenfinnan Viaduct on the drive to the Skye?' - yes, it's a great view from below.

'Also, in terms of getting to Skye, is the ferry or Kyle of Lochalsh preferable? I was planning on taking the ferry there as e will be taking Kyle of Lochalsh on the way to Inverness' - that's a good plan

' Is Eilean Donan castle worth a gander?' - definitely!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

Great, thanks! So the view of the Viaduct from below will make up for not taking the train? We will definitely take the ferry the one way and drive over the bridge the other, and Eilean Donan is officially on the list as well!

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

I tend to agree with the advice given.

The steam train is fun but the big question as always with Scotland is the weather. If the weather is good 2 nights on Skye is your best option. I have been to Skye twice the first time it was awful - it rained all the time.The second time the weather was perfect and it made such a difference. We visited Dunvegan Castle. saw the Old Man of Storr (a rock),visited an old village and drove around the island which is beautiful in good weather.

The island is quiet at night so you will probably end up in a pub in the evening.

Whatever the weather Eileen Doonan Castle is a must - take it from a castle fan it is one of the best in Scotland. Look out for it on biscuit tins etc if you want a souvenir !.

Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

Yes weather is somewhat unpredictable in Scotland!

We are planning to visit Dunvegan Castle and see the Old Man of Storr. I also want to check out Loch Coriusk and I've heard the fairy pools are nice as well. I am a big castle fan too so Eilean Donan is definitely happening!

I'm really looking forward to Skye and just driving around the island, so hopefully we are blessed with sunshine!

Thanks for the tips :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

'So the view of the Viaduct from below will make up for not taking the train?'

In my opinion, yes, though I'm not a steam train enthusiast. And it's certainly a whole lot cheaper than the Jacobite, which is quite an expensive train!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,821 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

In my opinion the view from the train on the viaduct is fabulous. But, having said that, I'm not sure that it's worth sacrificing one night one Skye to take the steam train. I wouldn't anyway, and I am a bit of a steam train fan!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

If you are desperate to experience the train, no problem. YOU take the train, one way. You send hubby by car. He can wave to you at Glenfinnan, and then you meet up at the station at Mallaig. Problem solved.

You can discuss who had the more enjoyable experience while waiting for the carry ferry to Skye.

But I wouldn't sacrifice a day on Skye to the train ride.

(PS some people do the steam train one way, and the Scotrail train back; it's more flexible)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

I was on the train recently and the driver stopped at the start of the viaduct. As it's curved you can see most of it ahead of you. He then moved the train and stopped at the other end so we could see the view back the way. He allowed about 5 minutes for picture taking. Fabulous views down Loch Shiel from the train too

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

The goodwitch is right, and it mentions that on the steam train website; I think it depends on how 'busy' the line is - i.e. whether the scotrail train is in the vicinity or not.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jacobite Steam Train

Yes I don't think I want to sacrifice a night on Skye, so we will either be content with the views from the viaduct or maybe I can convince him to let me ride it and meet up with him in Mallaig! Approximately how long after the train departs does it arrive at the viaduct? Just for timing picture-wise if we both experience it from the viaduct or even if I go on the train alone it would be nice to coordinate!