We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

Hi,

My wife and I will be driving (rental car) from Edinburgh to Oban on the morning of Monday, June 23. What's the most scenic route that we can take keeping in mind that we do want to stop for an hour or two around Loch Lomond? We are fine taking a route that results in a longer time to get to Oban as long as it's a really scenic route.

Thanks!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

Where are you going after Oban? If you are not planning to go through Glencoe then it is well worth while making the diversion at Tyndrum and heading through Glencoe on the A82 rather than taking the more direct road to Oban on the A85, after Glencoe take the coastal route A 828 along Loch Linnhe and down towards Oban.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,346 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

Well everywhere is scenic but if you want to take a longer route then at the head of Loch Lomond take the A83 towards Inverary which is also great little place to stop off for lunch. Carry on towards Lochgilphead and then north on to the A816 towards Oban. See the route below.

http://tinyurl.com/n8zyfkt

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

If you want the maximum amount of scenery, consider this as a possibility.

Edinburgh - Stirling - Callander - Trossachs - Balloch - Tarbet - Inveraray - Lochgilpead - Kilmartin Glen - Oban.

Most people heading from Edinburgh to Loch Lomond would take the motorway to Glasgow, which is NOT a scenic route, before turning from Dumbarton to to Balloch. It's a lot quicker, and quite a bit shorter, but if I had a full day I think the longer route is better.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

An alternative maximum ;-)

823 to crieff(glendevon) 822/826-Aberfeldy (sma glen) - Kenmore -loch Tay- Killin (the falls) -Crianlarich -Tarbet(loch Lomond)

-Inverary- Glencoe - 828 to Oban.

250 miles appx 5 hrs at the wheel plus all stops.

Leave early . . . . Its worth it !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@3nations_family - after Oban we will be driving to the Isle of Skye.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

So 'do' Glencoe as you drive north towards Fort WIlliam. Take long enough to see the Glen itself, and also to travel out of the glen onto Rannoch Moor. You can either travel east to Tyndrum and take the road over Rannoch Moor; or you can follow the coast road through Ballachulish to Glencoe. In either case have a camera ready.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

I tried tracing the route recommended by Derek G on Google Maps: Edinburgh - Stirling - Callander - Trossachs - Balloch - Tarbet - Inveraray - Lochgilpead - Kilmartin Glen - Oban

Google Maps has pinned Trossachs at Ben A'an Car Park near Loch Achray on the A821 - is this correct?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

The "Trossachs" - cover a large area; a National Park. There will be several routes through the Park.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

I would suggest Derek is thinking of

Callander- brig o turk - Aberfoyle- Balloch which is a nice wee run over the Dukes pass.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Scenic Route from Edinburgh to Oban

I've just looked up the map - yes, your pin is correct

Skip Glencoe-that is after Oban and a nice run north.

I never use the Stirling-callander option as I consider it a trawl, slow, heavy traffic & bland - I always go the 823 from j4 off the m90. At Crieff you have a choice, a85 lochearn or north to Aberfeldy and from lochearnhead you can drop down to Callander to join the run to Balloch. I suspect your target enroute Oban is Balloch in which case loch tay is a bit far north.