We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for a day out with pensioner

Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
202 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for a day out with pensioner

Hi looking for ideas for a day out on sunday 22nd with an ex pat pensioner over from Canada?

Last year we done Glasgow transport museum and the tall ship then a wander round merchant city for lunch , Due to the rain,

this weekend the weather is to be better so originally thought of the wayverly boat trip but its a long day your out on it, so any suggestions for us , our guest is a fit man in his late 70s but uses a stick so nothing too adventurous and that wont cost a fortune

thanks in advance

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Do you have a car, if yes head for the falkirk wheel and the kelpies, short trip on the wheel, everything accesible and lots to see.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Falkirk wheel is a good call and you could add on Linlithgow palace.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Yes Falkirk Wheel and Kelpies should be interesting to a chap of that age as both are amazing feats of engineering.

Woody x

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

If you decide to head in that direction, I've always enjoyed Burntisland beach.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Its a bit of a stretch to burntisland from falkirk, although the trip over the bridges is well worth it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,888 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

What a bout a trip to Loch Katrine and take the boat trip there. Lovely scenery to boot.

The Royal Highland Show is still on tomorrow (last day) so perhaps he might enjoy that or a trip to Stirling or Edinburgh castles.

Not too far away from you and if you have never been is the New Lanark Mill http://www.newlanark.org/

Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Well we have took the advice from here and asked his preference, gona head to the east , we think the highland show may be too much walking for him. So thinking burntisland , st Andrews or in that way. So I will let you know what he wants to see. Thanx for all of your suggestions

Karen x

Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Well the day was a great success . We headed to the east coast and took him to Anstruher , had ice cream and a drink by the harbour . Then headed onto Crail which was where he used to holiday as a child . What a beautiful wee place it is. Then onto St Andrews , and had the best fish and chips I've had in ages ! In the central hotel bar. After a drive around the town it was homeward bound . He had a wonderful day , reminiscing . Loads of photos taken . And I'm sure he would have slept well after it , I know I did ! Next week is the west cost , so I will have a better idea of where to go. Thanx every one for the tips

Karen x

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Glad you had a good day. I would have suggested St.Andrews but assumed you were looking for somewhere nearer you home base! Yes the East Neuk is beautiful. I am sure he enjoyed reminiscing.

Woody x

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ideas for a day out with pensioner

Thanks for the feedback. Nice little back story as we'll.