We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with driving times

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with driving times

We are visiting Scotland in July and will be visiting two days in Edinburgh then driving to Fort William by way of Glencoe, staying in Fort William for one night. Then back down to Callander for one night. We would like to visit Stirling Castle and Bannockburn before our flight at 5:30 p.m. at the Edinburgh Airport. Should we stop at Stirling before heading to Fort William or will we have enough time the day we leave? Any suggestions for lunch stops? I visited Scotland back in 1981 and 1983. This time I have my husband and two daughters with me, 18 and 21 years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with driving times

Use google maps and you can put your route in and it will give you estimated driving times.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with driving times

I agree with Ed, the geographical thing needs a bit of work.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,329 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with driving times

If your flight is at 1730 then you don't need to leave Stirling until around 1430/1500. From there to the airport is about 35 minutes. from Callander to Stirling about the same so if you leave after breakfast that will give you a few good hours at the castle. Try to take one of the guided tours (included in the price) especially the little white bearded guy, he's a hoot.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with driving times

I would do stirling going and a stress free day touring back.

Edin to Fort William is 3hrs at the wheel so hours n hours available for stirling.

As an alternative scenic route back my favourite would be Tyndrum- killin- kenmore- Aberfeldy- 826 sma glen - Crieff- 823 to a90 . Thats about 160 miles and 3 1/2 hrs plus stops

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with driving times

Thanks for your suggestions, greatly appreciated!!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with driving times

If your flight is 5.30 then you will need to be there a couple of hours before? I would make sure you allow plenty of time for hold ups delaying you. All it needs is roadworks or someone having an accident and everything will grind to a halt, especially at that time of day. I get very antsy when heading for a flight, but maybe that's just me.

Enjoy your trip

Woody x

7. Re: Help with driving times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16