We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mini moon in a motor home

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
mini moon in a motor home

Hi our dream is to visit the beautiful countryside of Scotland for approx 6 days. We want to spend most ofour time preferably in the middle of no where, so would love ideas. The big question is is it to cold to go mid March?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mini moon in a motor home

We actually survive here all year round so no it's not too cold to go in March. It might be cold and wet or it might snow. However, you might need shorts. It has been known.

If you want beautiful countryside and also the middle of nowhere I'd suggest somewhere in the north west. Head for Skye and either cross the bridge and stay on Skye or head north of here on the mainland

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mini moon in a motor home

In February/March 2012 quite a few parts of Scotland were actually warmer than Warrington. Okay, that isn't a gaurentee every year but Warrington does endure the same grey miserable weather Scotland suffers from most of the time, so just prepare for that.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mini moon in a motor home

Thank you

Do you know if we could fly up to an airport in Scotland and hire a motorhome....As you can probably guess I haven't done any research yet, just wanted to know about the possibilty first!

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mini moon in a motor home

Ok thanks, looks like we could be on for it! Can't wait!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mini moon in a motor home

Your answer to post 3 is yes.

Walkhighlands is a website that concerns itself with suggested countryside walks in all areas of Scotland. They have a page about motorhomes:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/campervans.shtml

And I remember someone on TA mentioning a camper hire from Boness, I think, with a pickup at the airport ... but I can't find it right now.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mini moon in a motor home

I know you've still to do your research, but did you know you could drive to Scotland (in a campervan) and be there before you were even boarding your plane at Manchester or wherever?

Probably better to hire locally and have a door to door service.

After you cross the border, turn left, avoid Gretna Green, and head for the huge Galloway Forest Park. The first Dark Park in the UK. You will have the whole place to yourself!

7. Re: mini moon in a motor home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16