We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

Hi there -

I wanted to bounce a planned Scotland itinerary off of you. In October mrs_dergon and I will will be heading over for a week. I have to spend 4 of the nights (Wed-Sat) in Edinburgh at a conference but plan to fly out the preceeding Friday to do some tourism.

This will be the third trip to Scotland with previous time spent in Glasgow, Oban, Inverness, Fort William, Stirling and Edinburgh. Want to see a couple of new things this time :)

So here's the plan:

Arrive Glasgow Sat am (from TATL flight from US). Spend day and single overnight in Glasgow.

Sunday take the train from Glasgow to Mallaig. Sunday night overnight in Mallaig.

Monday take ferry to Skye. Rent a car on Skye for some sight seeing. Spend 2 nights in Skye. ( I have a recommendation on a place called "The Three Chimneys")

On Wednesday we get rid of the car and go over the bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh. (Here is where I need some help. Where would be a place to drop off the car and get public transport over the bridge? I guess if a car hire will drop it off at the Ferry Terminal for me they can pick it up near the bridge, yes? )

From Kyle we take the train to Edinburgh, arriving late Wednesday. Four nights in Edinburgh for the conference and fly back to the US on SUnday am.

Thoughts?

thanks!

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

Oh... forgot to ask.

Best sights to see on Skye?

thanks

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

"I have a recommendation on a place called "The Three Chimneys" - you and a LOT of other people. Its a foody mecca so I would get booked as fast as you can!!

Best sights to see on Skye - the scenery! Stunning when the clouds are "up" - boring when they are "down". We enjoyed The Quiraing, The Coral Beach and just the general views as well as a great lunch at this place near Carbost

http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186585-Activi…

W x

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

Roger that - thanks. I'll get on it.

Here's another little question. Is it worth staying in Mallaig just for a quick night? Or would our time be better spent if we arrived on a late train into Mallaig and did a late ferry over to Skye giving us 3 nights on Skye but one long travel day?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

Just check the Sunday timetable as trains and ferries are much less frequent. Www.scotrail.com www.calmac.co.uk

Also remember that particularly by late in October we get fairly short daylight hours and plan your sightseeing accordingly.

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

Thanks -

So it looks like the "Summer" schedule runs for the Mallaig- Armadale ferry until Oct. 26. So we'll be OK there.

The ferry schedule shows a sign of a train departing Glasgow 12:20 pm on Sunday that arrives in time to make the last ferry at 1800. (Although immediately followed by an asterisk that says that picking a certain train does not guarantee arrival in time to make the ferry).

SO armed with that info --- stay overnight in Mallaig with 2 nights on Skye or last ferry to Skye and 3 nights on Skye?

6. Re: Commentary on planned Scotland itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16