We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Inverness

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
London to Inverness

Hi,

we will be spending around 8-9 days in the UK in September and we were thinking about spending 2-3 full days in Inverness and one in Edinburgh (we have already been to other parts of Scotland before) after spending couple of days in London.

Is travelling all the way to Inverness worth it? I´ve been wanting to visit the area for quite some time....So this might be my chance, but I am not sure if maybe leaving it for another trip might be better.

And if you think it is worth it, what would be the best way to travel there from London?

(Caledonian Sleeper, traditional train,...)

Thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,111 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Inverness

Personally, I like Inverness and I love the area around it. As for the best way of travelling, that would depend on how you define 'best'! My definition would probably be private jet or helicopter paid for by someone else!

More seriously, air and rail fares can vary a lot, and very dependent on when you are planning to travel and demand at that time. The cheapest rail fares are usually only available 10-12 weeks ahead of time at best. All you can really do is to see what fares and timings are like on the day you plan to travel to Inverness. You may want to have a look at flying to Edinburgh and then taking the train as well.

Two things I wouldn't consider under any circumstances are driving or taking the coach!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Inverness

Easyjet fly direct from Gatwick or Luton to Inverness for about £40 one way if you book now which is a great bargain - flight takes only 1.5 hours whereas train will take you a whole day and probably cost more.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,111 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Inverness

If it's £40 one way including all additional charges for extras, then that is an excellent fare and I would fly rather than take the train, especially for a visit of only 2-3 days. This will help maximise your time in the area.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,759 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Inverness

If you haven't been to Edinburgh before I'd suggest you need more than a day there to do it justice. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get around Inverness area without a car whereas you could easily spend 3 days in Edinburgh without one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Inverness

I have done London to Inverness many times over the years and by every method available. Which would I now choose? Fly from Luton airport or from Gatwick airport . If you book a good time ahead prices can be very reasonable. And as you step off the plane and see the hills around you then you will be pleased that you made the trip.

London
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Inverness

Easyjet fares in September for LON-INV go as low as £23. But before you book that, remember to add on baggage charges (if you intend to check a bag), and the cost of getting to LGW or LTN. Also, before you book the really cheap early or late flight, work out what options you have to get to/from the airport at that hour.

One day in Edinburgh would never do it justice. Either drop it or allocate longer.

Pilsen Region...
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Inverness

Thanks to everyone!!!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Inverness

The overnight Caledonian Sleeper is lovely, and an experience.

Plus it's in effect faster than flying as it's centre to centre overnight, saving a hotel bill too.

If you want to experience the Highlands, I'd book the London to Ft William sleeper, as this arrives in Ft W 09:50 after a ride on the best rail line in Britain. You can continue to Mallaig to complete the job.

Here's a UK rail map: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/Network_Rail_national_map(1).pdf

Just Google for Caledonian sleeper information

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:31
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Inverness

I agree with the above - if you're going to do this trip, you need to maximise your time in Inverness - taking the sleeper both ways will do this - giving you 3 full days in Inverness. With the best will in the world, flying for 1.5 hours isn't the whole journey - you'll be messing around getting to / from Gatwick or Luton (plus an additional rail or bus fare) and also from Inverness airport into the fair city - I suspect that your journey will really take half a day each way if you fly - and with only 3 days to spare, you've wasted one already...! Also, why fly over the spectacular scenery, when you can wake up amongst it and eat a leisurely breakfast watching it pass by your window..?

10. Re: London to Inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:16