We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

Hello. We are 3-4 adults planning a 10 day trip Scotland in Sept./Oct. that will begin and depart from Glasgow. History, hiking, art, and live music (of all types) will top our activity list. We are not golfers, so that is not a draw. Most of us have never been to Scotland and one for only a weekend. We'd like to see countryside and remote places in addition to the cities. I am wondering if we should plan to stay in Glasgow or in Edinburgh for the entire time and daytrip, lodge in both cities for 5 days each or plan for a short stay in a more remote spot. (I realize that's a really generalized question. I'm sure all 3 plans have their +'s and -'s.) I'm perusing the forum and guidebooks for info but will appreciate any practical advice on driving, remote lodging, well-kept secrets.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

well, with 10 days, and a desire to see countryside and remote places it would seem a bit bizarre to spend it all in the two largest cities.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

I would tend to go half and half using Glasgow to explore the West and Edinburgh to explore the East, the two cities are only about 44 miles apart by the way.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 20:07
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

6/7 days in Glasgow - if you are renting an apartment many are on weekly lets - with day trips to Edinburgh.

3/4 days on the west coast for hiking and remote places

4. Re: trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:15