We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to St. Andrews

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to St. Andrews

My family and I are taking a day trip from Edinburgh to St. Andrews this August. My husband and brother will be playing a round of golf at the Castle Course at 3:00 PM while my parents and I visit the rest of the town.

As we aren't sure what time the boys will be done golfing, we were wondering if it's possible to purchase a train ticket back to Edinburgh once they're done? Or do we need to book the tickets in advance?

I've reviewed the train time tables and assume they'll need a train sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 pm but my parents and I will most likely want to head back to Edinburgh earlier than that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews

WWW.nationalrail.co.uk for train times. It's Leuchars station for St Andrews and you have to take a bus from town to the station. I just put a random date in for August and it's showing as £7.60 advance fare (pre-booked to a specific train) or £13.50 anytime so cheaper to book ahead.

Or there's buses from St Andrews www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

Durham
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews

However, the offpeak day return fare is £17.10 which is less than £2 more than two advance singles and does not tie you to specific trains.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
553 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews

You don’t want to be tied to a specific train so an off peak day return from Edinburgh (off peak means depart Edinburgh after 0915) to Leuchars then bus to St Andrews. Alternatively if you have the funds get a taxi (6 miles) to St Andrews, there is no shortage of taxis at Leuchars station.

Bus times Leuchars rail station to St Andrews

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20.pdf

Timetable for trains

scotrail.co.uk/sites/…Glas-Ed-AbdMay14.pdf

4. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16