We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

Coronado, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

This coming October, I will be touring Scotland (beginning and ending in Glasgow) for 10 days. I've got a pretty good idea of the places I want to go, though I haven't settled anything other than the airfare yet. My main focus while I'll be there will be photography. I'm wondering whether driving or taking trains and buses is better. I'm leaning more towards driving because of the flexibility it would offer. I am an experienced driver (manual transmission in the US for nearly 20 years) but I've only driven on the left side once, in New Zealand. Any comments? Suggestions?

Little Fish Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
WOW Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Distillery Tours
Go to St Kilda
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Multi-day Tours
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

Hi , if you are comfortable in your own ability to drive here then the car does offer you the best option especially for getting to places out of the way and let's face it with all our wonderful scenery you are going to be busy with that camera!!

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

Definitely drive. Spectacular scenery best off the beaten track.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

You will surely get very frustrated on public transport as you go speeding by the lovely locations you would love to have spent time in and photographed. The flexibility of your own car is what you need.

4. Re: Drive or take the trains/buses to tour Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15