We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maps and clothings

Singapore
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
Maps and clothings

My wife and I will arrive in Edinburgh on 6 Aug 2014. After staying a few days in Edinburgh, we will pick up a rental car at the airport and then tour the highland areas. I have two questions:

(1) Where in Edinburgh can we buy a map for our driving? The GPS in the car will only get us from point A to point B, but a map is useful when we want to drive a specific route to visit attractions along the way.

(2) I know that August is still summer, but it seems that it is not that hot in Scotland. Would we be fine with just jeans, T-shirts and skirts? Do we need other clothes like jackets and sweaters?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maps and clothings

Finding a road atlas in Edinburgh won't be a problem, any large supermarket seem to have them, or W H Smith. Scotland can be cold and miserable anytime of the year, so a sweater , jacket and a waterproof are essential.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maps and clothings

As well as jeans take some light trousers in case of rain. When jeans get wet they get uncomfortable. All the outdoor stores here sell them made from 'technical' fabric.

Layers are the way to go. A light fleece top and a waterproof will be handy

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,889 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maps and clothings

Just about every garage has large scale full UK maps for around £5 or less. You will need a waterproof top layer whatever else you have. Doesnt have to be a heavy coat, just waterproof.

England
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maps and clothings

If you're flying into Edinburgh then the best place is WH Smiths - there should be one in the airport. If not then you can find the store in the city itself.

Weather wise - prepare for damp and humid or warm and dry weather conditions. The British Isles are currently experiencing thunderstorms and heavy rain coming up from the continent, but we've also had dry warm sunny weather. Light weight clothes that you can layer would be ideal. Bring a water proof jacket.

Warning!! Early August can be a bad time for Midges. These are small flying insects that have a taste for blood - in particular Human. Buy insect repellent with DEET in it (read the instructions on the bottle or wipes before applying!) and Citrus smells such as citronella can also minimise the risk of being bitten.They say, and I have no idea whether this is true or not, that Midges are attracted to Human sweat and dark coloured clothing...

Midges tend to swarm in large numbers on still Summer evenings in shady areas near water and if you're caught up in a swarm - run!

Edited: 19 July 2014, 09:58
Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maps and clothings

I would agree in this day and age of Sat Navs and Google Maps that a good old road atlas is essential especially as you say to look at paths and vantage points, Esso petrol stations have a large one just now for £1:99 with any fuel purchase.

If you don't pack them, them places like Primark and Matalan have cheap fleeces and rain jackets for around £5-10, but as said layers is the way to go.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maps and clothings

Apparently AVON SkinSoSoft is as good for tackling midges as the chemical/DEET formulations. I've not tested it on Scottish midges but it's always kept mosquitoes off my in southern Italy, and they usually love me!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maps and clothings

If you want maps of a specific area (eg if you're staying in a place for a few days) rather than the whole country, the best are Ordnance Survey (OS) maps. I always get one even if I'm going just for a few days. They give you an understanding og the area, and if you decide you 'd liek to walk along a river somewhere, the map will show you where such paths exist. These come in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 scales. The 1:50,000 show *all* the roads, which the road atlases may not. The 1:25,000 also show all field boundaries etc, which makes them ideal if you are out walking in the countryside etc.

You can even order custom maps centred on any location you choose, in case your base straddles the edges of two standard maps.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/…

To view maps online see:

https:/…os-getamap.html

click 'launch GetaMap". on the sign in screen click the small "visit as guest link" to avoid signing in. Click the 'leisure' option on the map and keep zooming in.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 16:39
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maps and clothings

If you're looking for road maps, then the advice is good: you can pick up a road atlas in shops, or when refuelling.

If you're researching some walks before you arrive you can get access to good detailed maps via this site: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

You choose a region, and then usually a sub-region, then you get a list of walks ranging from easy & flat, through to difficult mountain climbs. But I mention them because each walk has a link to a map, and you can scroll or zoom in/out. If you register you can see VERY detailed mapping, and they're based on the same base mapping, as mentioned above, from the Ordnance Survey. And there is no charge. You should be able to print small areas, a few KM square, if you feel you need the details to hand.

I used to use getamap's free but limited service, but I reckon Walkhighlands is MUCH more helpful.

Clothing: Layers, as others have advised. You might spend days in T-shirts in a heatwave, you might find it's cold and wet as a weather front pulls through. So you need layers and you need a waterproof outer layer. If they get wet, jeans take a long time to dry and you lose a lotof body heat. Most outdoors people advise people not to wear jeans if venturing into wilder areas.

Shoes/trainers/boots: it depends where you intend to go. If you're driving and visiting castles or whatever, your ordinary shoes might be OK, or trainers might be more comfortable. If you're venturing into the wilds, you need a decent pair of trainers or decent waterproof boots (if it can rain in Scotland, then paths and wild areas can be boggy at any time of year). You don't have to bring all that stuff with you; there are good outdoors shops in many towns, and you can purchase if you feel you need to.

But there is no way you should (for example) climb Ben Nevis in T-shirts and flip-flops.

Mentioned in this post
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,888 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maps and clothings

If you want to find places worth visiting, try http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

10. Re: Maps and clothings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:15