We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

Tallinn, Estonia
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

Hello :)

I am visiting Scotland in october with my better second half for a week. We'll land in Glasgow, but our friend in Ullapool was happy to accommondate us, if we would like it. Also he will try to hook us a car, so that we could see around.

I am not going to ask about the weather, because I know, it will be hectic. I am going to ask for the loveliest, most breathtaking places we should definately visit. What b&b have the best price-quality relation? Is Loch Ness really worth seeing? ;)

We are coming from Estonia, where the highest 'mountain' is 318 meters, so you can imagine..every mountain will be exciting for us :)

We are not the usual museum-looking tourist, we would like to see the open land as much as possible, but every suggestion will be taken under consideration.

I am greatful for your suggestions in advance,

best regards, from estonia

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

Ullapool is a good base from which to explore some of the most beautiful places I've even been - you could head north towards Lochinver and the coastline on the peninsula to the north of there. Or head even further north towards Durness. Then south of Ullapool you've got the Torridon mountains and places like Gairloch. Or you could take a ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway.

www.calmac.co.uk/destinations/route-map.htm

In these sorts of areas you will really need a car to get around but be prepared for narrow, often single track roads with passing places for oncoming traffic and some steep gradients!

I'd suggest you maybe have a night or two in Edinburgh or Glasgow too, plenty to see and do besides museums!

Bear in mind hours of daylight in October. Depending on when in October you're planning to come it will be dark by around 5pm.

Give Loch Ness a miss!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Tallinn, Estonia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

Thanks!

Just adding Lochingver to the trajector.

We were thinking on heading north, so I am trying to figure out which way is the best to have most of the spots along the way.

But what about the island? Skye etc? :)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

As per the good advice above, I think you need to google images and reviews and see what most appeals.October is fantastic for colour throughout the Highands and Islands.If I was to list my absolute favourite areas scenery wise it woud be Torridon, Assynt,Harris and North Uist, Mull/Iona although almost any of the Hebrides I would find hard to choose between. All different somehow.They have that combination of mountain(or moorland/machair) and ocean pounded beaches which is sublime. Re. beaches - the islands will give you some of the most stunning shell sand beaches you will see anywhere in the world,not just the UK.Check out images of Harris and N.Uist for these...Luskentyre and Lingeigh beaches for example.

4. Re: Visiting Scotland in October, 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16