We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highland advice needed

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
461 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Highland advice needed

My adult daughter is in Aberdeen for an internship for a few months, and I'll be visiting her mid-Aug. After spending the weekend with her in Aberdeen, Monday morning I'm renting a car and heading to Ft. William for the night, should have time for a hike. Tues. I'll be ferrying onto Skye, stopping here and there for sights and a walk/short hike on my way to Staffin. I'll hike and explore up that way on Wed., and I thought I'd have another day on Skye, but just found out DD has Thurs-Fri. off. Here's where the next several days are being revised. Maybe on Thurs. morning she could train into Kyle of Lochalsh (should be scenic), picking her up at the station about 1:30 pm (hoping I can drive comfortably there from Staffin by then), we could tour nearby Eilean Donan castle (we like castles, as well as prehistoric sights such as standing stones,but beautiful natural scenery and hiking are the top priority), and stay somewhere within an hour or so. Then we have Friday free (go up to Aviemore or Grantown on Spey or other place for some hiking/scenery and the night?), plan to end up Saturday morning at the Lonach Highland Games Aug. 23. Sunday we'll be seeing the sights and visiting friends on our way back to Aberdeen. Any comments or suggestions?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highland advice needed

My first reaction was that you are packing a lot of driving in and that the trip looked a bit tiring. Apart from the Wednesday you aren't staying put on any of the days and combining quite long drives and hiking on the same days can be hard work. However I think what you suggest is feasible and certainly given the weather Skye is so beautiful I can definitely see the temptation.

You will have no problem driving to Kyle by 1:30. If the Skye Weather is being co-operative you could even take daughter back onto Skye and across the old ferry at Kylerhea. The Glenelg inn is well spoken of and there is a prehistoric broch nearby and a stunning drive back over the ratagan pass to Shiel Bridge and the option to see Eilean Donan castle. And yes, having said you were driving a lot, that would make you drive some more. Oops!

I've never stayed there but Tigh na Sgiath at Grantown on Spey is on my must visit list - it looks a lovely place to spend the nice and has some very attractive visitors - www.tigh-na-sgiath.co.uk/redsquirrels.html

have a super trip whatever you do. If you've not come across it www.walkhighlands.co.uk is a great resource for walk ideas.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highland advice needed

I would recommend Tigh na Sgiath as a lovely place to stay although I haven't actually stayed but we have dined there and it was excellent. Its on your route and if you can get booked then it would be a more than comfortable stop in a lovely location with time to look around Grantown and the lovely easy walking in and around Anagach Woods and the River Spey.

W x

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Highland advice needed

Sounds like a great trip! Driving in the Highlands always takes longer than you expect, so I would not suggest you lengthen the journey. Fort Augustus is a lovely area. You could stay the night and go for a morning walk, then make your way to Aviemore for late afternoon sightseeing and a wee dram. You might find this App useful. It covers that area pretty well. www.around-scotland.com

4. Re: Highland advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:16