We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service Stations?

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Service Stations?

Hello :)

We will be visiting Scotland in late November, renting a car and travelling to Stirling, Inverness, Isle of Skye, Fort William and Edinburgh. How hard is it to find a fuel stop in these locations? I know Edinburgh and Stirling should be no problem. Also what are the opening times normally, especially since it's winter? Any names of Service stations I can track down on Google Maps? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Service Stations?

All the places you mention will have petrol stations with only Skye having not as many or with "normal hours" and by that I mean 24hr ones.

The golden rule here is to fill the tank in the major towns whereby some supermarkets have filling stations attached and usually at around 2p a litre cheaper.

The smaller remote stations tend to charge up to 8p a litre more than the Cities.

So whenever you see cheap petrol top up the tank anyway.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 12:00
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Service Stations?

If you google search for brand names, e.g Shell or BP then you will find all their stations throughout the country. Or even just try petrol station near to........also find out if the vehicle will be petrol or diesel and check that the stations supply both, although it is pretty much normal for them to have both.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Service Stations?

Most good sat nav or GPS ( car or smartphone app) has petrol station locations within the software. Some of which can be updated with local maps.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Service Stations?

I was very surprised to find a local petrol station which wasn't 24-hour. Insurance requirements so often specify sites to be continuously staffed that they might as well open for business.

http://www.petrolprices.com/ has UK petrol station locations and prices (for about 8 out of 10 outlets)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Service Stations?

Your rental car will be full when you get it. Unless it's a real thirsty beast that will be enough for you to do circa 400 miles. If you topped up the tank in Inverness that would likely get you all the way back to Stirling unless you are really driving all over the place. Even then you can fill up again in Fort William at Morrissons supermarket. Easily enough to get you back to Edinburgh etc.

I would not worry about this too much.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Service Stations?

Lots of large supermarkets have petrol stations attached. Sometimes these are unmanned but open 24 hours a day 7 days a week for card payment only.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Service Stations?

And try to get a diesel.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Service Stations?

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful :)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Service Stations?

Comparatively few petrol stations in our area are open 24 hours a day. Generally only those attached to 24 hr supermarkets, of which there is only 1 locally which has a petrol station.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Service Stations?

Ronaldoc - the last two cars I've rented have been supplied 25% full as a policy. I assume it gives the company some freefuel on return or the opportunity to charge silly prices to top up.

National firms. Very annoying at the end of a rental period to faff around trying to return it at the same level.