We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drive

Leaving Yorkshire Dales on a Friday morning heading north on the M6. Hotel reservations in Edinburgh for Saturday afternoon. Would like to bypass Glasgow and spend the day driving in a scenic area, possibly with a view of the mountains and lakes. Need suggestions for the drive and for place to stop Friday night. Not familiar with the area and don't have a good grasp of distances or road conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive

Glasgow has no less than 5 of Scotland's Motorways running through it at some point so it is hard to bypass it!

The journey up on the M74 takes you through the Scottish Lowlands but for real mountains and Lochs you would have to come through Glasgow and go further North to say Loch Lomond and the Trossachs .

Personally rather than finding another hotel for the night I would just go to Edinburgh direct maybe bringing you hotel reservation there forward by a night.

That's not to say you cannot have a slow scenic drive en route via the Borders.

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive

Thank you for your reply.

My husband has never been to Scotland and he would really love to see the Highlands, but unfortunately, we do not have enough time to go too far north. I am therefore trying to plot a route that would allow him to see some of the mountains and lakes without being too far from Edinburgh. Not knowing the area, I am not sure just how far north we could go in a day and if we did, what road we should take for the best scenery. If we go to the Loch Lomond area as you suggest, what would be a good place to stay the night?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive

Pitlochry is only 90 minutes from Edinburgh and has highland scenery. Lots of hotels etc also if you're coming in the near future and haven't yet booked

If that's too far try Callander. Also surrounded by mountains but not quite so far north

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive

Can I suggest you turn off the M74 at Moffat, which is a nice place for a stop in itself, and then take the A708 Eastwards? You pass through some mountainous scenery, not quite as craggy/high as Loch Lomond and the areas North of it, but nonetheless attractive. You pass the Grey Mare's Tail, a waterfall which drops some hundreds of feet to the roadside. You then pass Loch of the Lowes and St Mary's Loch, and between them you will find Tibbie Shiels Inn. A few miles later, you can turn left at the Gordon Arms Inn/Hotel, and head though the hills northward to Traquair House. And From there you can continue to Innerleithen, then Peebles.

From Peebles there's a straightforwards road to Edinburgh.

Given you have just 24 hours from when you hit the border at Carlisle, plus the desire to avoid Glasgow, suggests to me a slower journey on more minor roads, seeing some of the Borders countryside.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drive

Hi

You could skirt Glasgow and head to Glencoe for the night - which is very scenic and you could then easily drive to Edinburgh via Stirling if you wanted.

Alternatively and more convenient for your route with less driving, consider the Lake District instead - also mountainous and a lovely part of the world (and if you need a Scottish connection, the northern part was part of Scotland at one time).

6. Re: Scenic Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:15