We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Will be driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen within the next few weeks. Its a long drive and I would welcome some advice on rest/food/petrol stops en route. Won't be in any great rush but don't want to wander away from the main route. Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Don't worry.

There are lots of stopping places on the main Roads, M74/M80/A90 ETC.

Stop when you are tired.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

M74 Jimmy?

I would have thought the A/M77 would be the preferred route leading to M8 through Glasgow then veering off onto the M80 and onward to M9

Re petrol it's always best and cheaper to get this from supermarket filling stations so in that respect just as you enter Glasgow veer of the 77 at junction 2 into the Silverburn Shopping centre and the Tesco filling station, you could also refuel yourselves here if you wish before pressing on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

The A/M77 is the most direct route but I thought that the M74 Route would avoid the traffic in Kilmarnock and Glasgow.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

I find the AA route planner very useful. You can print of the suggested route map (or change it to suit) also print off a step by step written route instruction which gives the locations of speed cameras and can also give locations of service stations, rest stops etc should you need them.

Heading up the A77, M77, M8 would be the way I would go. Outside of rush hour the traffic seems to flow much better through the Glasgow section in the last couple of years.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Plenty of places to stop off along your route. There's a lovely little cafe/farm shop just before Turnberry but I suspect that will be too soon into your journey north, but maybe it will come in handy on your return leg? https:/…

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Thanks to you all. We will be travelling on a Sunday so I presume traffic around Glasgow would not be as bad as Monday - Saturday. Have printed off the AA Route including stop for Silverburn Shopping Centre (unless someone can come up with a nicer stop than Tesco!). Had a look at cafe/farm shop before Turnberry and it looks very inviting but too soon to stop after we get off the ferry in Cairnryan. Will be travelling back via Troon so will miss it on return journey also.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

It would be right not to stop so soon. The first part of the journey to Ayr is really frustrating as it's one lane both ways for the majority of that stretch and if you end up behind a lorry, bus or "Sunday driver" it can be tempting to take chances. Don't it's all speed cameras on that part of the 77.

Safe journey and enjoy Aberdeen, but be wary, it's an expensive old city these days.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Thanks for advice. Last thing we need is a speeding ticket at the start of our holiday. Have decided not to base ourselves in Aberdeen now - will look at somewhere in the Cairngorms (think that is the right spelling).

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

http://visitcairngorms.com

Your money will go further as a result, but a night in Aberdeen would be worth. One of the best places to say, for location in the city, is the Beechwood, but it's hard to get a booking. Some fantastic restaurants very close like Sai Gon, which is exceptional value.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

It should be noted the speed cameras on the A77 before and after Ayr are in fact average speed cameras known locally as Vultures as that is what they look like sitting on Poles above the road.

Basically they take a photo on entering the section then a photo on leaving, if you have averaged 50 mph on the the section then you have nothing to worry about.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Cairnryan to Aberdeen

Thanks for all the help and good advice. Really appreciate it. Looking forward to holiday. Plan to spend about 4 days in the Cairngorms and then about another 5 near Loch Lomand. My only problem now is that I keep hearing about the dreaded midges!! Will they still be around then and, if so, best way of dealing with them? Any advice on best repellant. Many thanks.