We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Tram

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Tram

We are staying at Holiday Inn Express at Picardy place Leith Walk.

I was going to take the bus from airport and walk from Waverly but then I just read about the tram.

Am I better taking tram to York st end of line?

Where do you get the tram at the airport?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Tram

Yeah the tram is probably the best option for you. The tram stop (Terminus) is only about 200 yards or so from the hotel.

The tram is easy to find at the airport , just go out the doors at the domestic arrivals area,you actually walk past the bus stop and will see the tram area maybe 100 yards or so from the door.

I was last in the area about 4 weeks ago and there is a lot of work going on but the signs for everything are very obvious and there is usually a Airport staff member around to help folk.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Tram

The building works are still ongoing! If you're coming in on a domestic flight then head out of the first exit door opposite baggage reclaim, bear left and follow signs for the trams / car rental centre and it's a 2minute walk under a covered walkway to the tram stop. If you're coming in on an international arrival then either head out of the terminal building, and turn left along the outside of the building or walk straight through the terminal past all the check-in desks towards domestic arrivals and head out of the last door on the right as above (after the BA check-in area).

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Tram

Definitely tram.

As you approach the tram stop you'll see ticket machines, and there's always been a member of staff there to help when I've been there. The ticket machines take cash (coins only) or cards. The fare is £5 one way or £8 round trip. Make sure you buy your ticket before boarding, and show it to the member of staff on the tram when asked.

There are good views on the journey. Look out for Edinburgh Castle on the skyline straight ahead as you head in through the outskirts of Edinburgh. You also go right past the impressive Murrayfield stadium before, of course, finally going straight along Princes Street itself below the Castle.

At the end of line it's a very short walk downhill to your hotel. Look for the Sherlock Holmes statue (Arthur Conan Doyle was born in Picardy Place), walk past it, and the hotel is on the left.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Tram

If you want to save some money you can get on the 35 bus, pay £1.50, get off at Ingliston P&R and take the tram from there for another £1.50 so saving £2 each. You can also buy a day ticket for two adults (family ticket) on the bus and do the same. That will give you unlimited travel that day as well as the bus tram into town

lothianbuses.com/plan-a-journey/fares-and-ti…

The 35 stops right outside the terminal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Tram

So tram it is then.

I'm actually coming from the rental car drop off which I believe is Jubilee rd at the airport. So sounds like I'll run into the tram walking to arrivals?

Good to know that about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; one of my old favorites :-)

Thanks all!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,037 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Tram

>> So sounds like I'll run into the Tram walking to arrivals<<

Try not to do that!!!!

At around £95million per Mile we wouldn't want to damage it;-)))

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Tram

Yes if you're dropping car off at the airport terminal rental centre then the tram station is even closer than coming from the terminal building!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Tram

Alright then. Sorted.

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Tram

If you drop your passenger off at the Park & ride at the top of the airport road with the bags whilst you drop off the rental car, then they will only have to pay £1.50 for the tram into town instead of an extra £3.50 to go one stop from the airport which is a complete rip - off

LOL I do seem to be on a mission to save you a few quid!!

Edited: 11 August 2014, 22:12
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Tram

Beware also the tram day ticket in the Airport zone. An all day ticket on Lothian Buses, which includes the tram to the stop before the airport is £3.50, but including the airport stop it becomes a whopping £9 per person. That's when Ronaldo's suggestion of taking a 35 bus from the airport for 1 stop, at a cost of £1.50 and change to the tram at the Park and Ride stop, if you want to purchase a Dayticket gives an even bigger saving. Very silly.