We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Western Scotland

Milton Keynes...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Touring Western Scotland

Am planning a short trip (5-6 days) in Western Scotland at the beginning of October. Have relatives from the US staying over who are keen to visit - as are we! So, questions...

1. Would like to take the Jacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig. Will otherwise be travelling by car.

Would also like to take in an island - Skye maybe? As Mallaig is a crossing point, seems best to go across to Skye from here, but then what do we do with the car having left it at Fort William?

2. Heard of the 'road to the isles' as a fantastic scenic route. How easy is it to drive?

3. Interested in taking in a visit to a whiskey distillery too.

4. Also recommendations of good places to stay. Would we need to book beforehand or at this time of year, ok to just turn up, being more flexible?

We will be travelling up from Milton Keynes, staying overnight in the Lake District, so will have done a fair bit of driving.

5. Is it better to stay in one/two places with day trips out, or do more travelling to see more? Would probably prefer former?

6. What's the weather like at this time of year?

7. Anything else that we should know/do?

Thanks for anticipated replies...

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Western Scotland

1. That's tricky - given a shortage of time I'd be inclined to skip the train journey and hang on to the car. Even if you don't travel in the Jacobite you can enjoy watching it go past. If you are really keen you could always do it as a return trip- the price is almost the same as for a single. The road is not very fast but is fine - and very scenic on a clear day. Lots of photo stops.

2. If you travel up by Glasgow you are near to Auchentoshan Distillery which does tours. I have heard good things about them but not been on one myself. If you made your island choice Islay of course you'd be spoilt for choice....

3. I'd be inclined to book - I'm sure it will not be too busy, but some places may have shut for the season. Especially if you are looking for more than 1 room. I personally prefer relatively little moving from place to place and unpacking.

4. October can be lovely - the last few years it has been drier than September - but we do have a very changeable climate so nothing is guaranteed!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Western Scotland

Can't add much to fifporter's good advice, except to say that you do need a car on Skye - it's a big island. Also, there's a good distillery you can visit on Skye, Talisker.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Western Scotland

I would also suggest booking ahead, especially as you are a group, not just a couple. Accommodations can be few and far between and there is nothing worse than trawling around after a long day out.

Definitely keep the car

Talisker would be a lovely distillery to visit. If you have time for lunch I can recommend

http://www.theoldinnskye.co.uk/

which is nearby.

It will probably feel cooler than MK so take fleeces and a waterproof jacket or coat.

Woody x

Milton Keynes...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Western Scotland

Thanks for the helpful replies. Think we'll give the Jacobite ride a miss :( but will watch it chug by as we take the road. Also will go to Skye - thanks also for the recommendation of the distillery as well as place to eat. Booking accommodation seems to be sensible.

Where else within reach would you recommend to go?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Western Scotland

You could return from Skye via the Bridge and wonderful Glen Shiel.If so, don't miss Eilean Donan Castle.Not sure where you are starting from to get to F.William but if it's from the south,then Rannoch Moor and Glencoe are superbly scenic and worth some time to simply stop and admire...in fact most of the journey offers great scenery beyond Balloch.

Camus Darach's white beaches near Morar are worth a stop and a stroll.Access it easily via the B8008 road.Glorious in half decent weather.Used in the film "Local Hero'.

6. Re: Touring Western Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 07:16