We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

Hello TA Fans,

Next week we are headed to Edinburgh for 3 nights, then getting a car and doing a counterclockwise trip around Scotland for the next 10 days. EDI, Aberdeen, Inverness, Isle of Skye, Inveraray, Glasgow, Berwick-upon-Tweed, EDI--with a lot of stops along the way.

Has anybody used the AT&T package for cellular DATA or the TomTom maps? This is for the iPad, not a phone. We like to use it for research along the way. I'm just checking to see how coverage is before I pay for the AT&T package. We will be staying at places with free WiFi, but we like to check out the lay of the land as we travel. Thank you for any inputs.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

In rural areas in Scotland you cannot rely on having *any* cellphone coverage, let alone data of any description. If you rely on GPS for navigation you will need offline mapping.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

As we don't have AT&T here it is difficult to comment however generally the further north you go beyond Aberdeen the less reliable the signal but many free wi-fi spots for downloading maps and doing some research.

I believe also that the gorgeous West coast above Glasgow struggles for a signal but perhaps someone better placed can verify.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

I would have thought that data access in the remoter parts of Scotland would be non existent. Check out the lay of the land using wifi where you are staying before you head off. Dont rely on any navigation that requires data to be downloaded as inevitably you'll need it where there isnt any.

Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

Thank you for your inputs. I had checked the AT&T International coverage maps for Scotland (I guess they are roaming with a different company there) and wanted to get first hand information from y'all. We will stay with the wifi option instead of paying for the package.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

Unless you have an early model iPad it is unlocked. From the ipad2 model on, no iPad is locked meaning that it works with local SIM cards. If you want to possibly have data access on the road look into UK prepaid SIM cards which are better value than ATT roaming plans.

I have the TomTom UK-Ireland app which doesn't require data access. It's installed on my iPad mini and iPhone 5s. It isn't quite as user friendly as Google maps but it's a good app that works well. Of course always have paper maps as backup and for route planning.

Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

Thank you Texhills--especially for the info on TomTom. We have a new iPad Air and are thinking about putting the Western European maps on it since we head over there often. We do have a trusty paper map of Scotland.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

You're welcome, Kim. Have a great trip!

8. Re: Scotland AT&T Cellular DATA for iPad/TomTom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16