We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

Camp Hill...
1 post
Save Topic
Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to travel through Scotland. Our trip has a few general goals (the Highlands and Skye) but we need to finish in Campbeltown, Scotland.

Ideally we want to rent a car for its flexibility but are not sure we can drop off a rental car in Campbeltown.

Alternatively, would it make more sense to do everything by rail/bus, or would that be too much of a hassle?

Please advise. Thank you!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

If possible I would definitely go for a car ;-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

Public transport north to south,Skye to Campbeltown is very limited.

Hiring a car is the way to go but you might have to return it to Glasgow.

Where are you going from Campbeltown?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

One way car hire in Scotland is not easy, apart from between the major cities - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness and Aberdeen. You will not be able to drop off a hire car in Campbeltown. The nearest option would probably be Glasgow, and you can catch a Citylink coach from there to Campbeltown.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

yes I would agree with Dhmellor that you should get the car from say Glasgow and then return it there and catch the bus to Campbeltown (or you can go by ferry).

5. Re: Yes or No? Rental car for Highlands and West Coast Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16