We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 10-day trip with a senior

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 10-day trip with a senior

I'm helping to plan an approximately 10-day trip for my father (age 75) and my sister and her husband. (I, alas, will stay home and live vicariously through the planning).

Roughly, I'm thinking to start in Edinburgh, then up through the highlands to Inverness, across to Skye, down through to the Trossachs/Loch Lomond area. Attractions favored would be a castle or two, some historic battle sites, quaint villages and lots of scenery.

Travel by train is most attractive, but I know you need a car to see some of the specific sites. Is it possible to combo it and if so, what would you recommend? Years ago we bought a rail/drive pass. Are such things still available?

I suppose we don't want to stress everyone too much with trying to drive everywhere. And also recognizing that my Dad won't be into hiking and long walks (although he held up well in London last year!).

Thoughts? I'm going through the visit scotland and visit highlands sites for background.

Thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 10-day trip with a senior

Have a wee read of this link just to get you started with some inspiration:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k7499…

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 10-day trip with a senior

I think you have a good itinerary. Edinburgh is tops and it's a good place to start. There is a lot to see going north across the forth and through Perthshire to Inverness. Culloden battle field is near the main road and easy access. From Inverness west along loch Ness is a pretty drive and easy to get to Skye.

I'm hooked on driving over there now; I wish I would have done my own driving on my previous trips. I'm sure the local experts will tell you about the train options.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 10-day trip with a senior

There are suggested itineraries on visitscotland.com which cater for various interests, including a Scotland Without a Car. (put in itinerary in the search box) I don't think a rail-drive pass is available, but there are a variety of local and Scotland-wide rail passes from First Scotrail; there are also many local buses and day excursions, eg Haggis and MacBackpackers from Edinburgh, and the Trossachs Trundler bus from Stirling

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 10-day trip with a senior

Thanks, all.

I'm starting to come up with the actual sites to include on the itinerary.

I'm still thinking some combination of rail/car rental. So which sites are accessible via train may help determine what that combination is.

Specifically, I know they would definitely want to see Culloden and Glencoe. Within our overall itinerary, what would be your top 2-3: castles? villages/towns? Other top attractions?

I guess we also need to decide whether to pick 4-5 "bases" and day-travel from those, or plan a grand tour type of attack.

Thank you again for your help!

5. Re: Planning 10-day trip with a senior

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 22:17