We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tours

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Guided tours

Looking to take a guided tour of Scotland for a about 10 days, this will be an overveiw of Scotland for us and then we will be renting a car to look at places that we want to explore in more detail. My questions are:

!/ Are there any recommendations for guided tour companies?

2/ What are the areas of Scotland should we be looking at to explore.

We are interested in the history and of course the country, not interested in the night life.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided tours

Can't do full justice to your question since we drove and didn't use any guided tours, but when we were planning our trip, a local poster named Speysider gave us useful feedback and I recently found out that he runs a touring service ( may be restricted to the area he lives in, I don't know, but worth asking). Search for "Speysider" in this forum. I had a look at his site after we came back and it really impressed us, because he seems impassioned about his country and its history and offers individualized tours.

I'll see if I can dig up that site and post it here.

( FYI: We do not know Speysider apart from his postings on this forum and are not in any way related to him or have anything to do with his tours! )

Also type in "tours" in the Search box and you'll come up with many names/advice/recommendations.

The Highlands are particularly beautiful especially the west and north.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided tours

Here it is:

http://www.aboutspeyside.com/index.php

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided tours

Hi,

if you are intersted in a small group guided tour, try www.catswhiskerstours.com

tour can be focused around your interest, be it romans, celtic, landscapes etc.

Colin is a great guy and very knowledgeable about scotland.

Tours can be of any duration and he would most likely be able to give you a great overall picture to explore at you leisure at a later date.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided tours

1) I have taken a 7 day- Skye & Orkney tour with http://www.wild-in-scotland.com, and was very happy with it. Xtremeley informative, nice overview of the West Coast, the Highlands, Skye, the north coast, and Orkneys. In small buses (16 people max). NOT a 'drinking tour', as some are reputed to be.

2) The West Coast (Glasgow to Skye) and the North. The Highlands and the Torridons are excruciatingly beautiful. When you see it, you will know I am not making an overstatement here. The Outer Hebrides are precious, and very special, too. Ferry from Ullapool. Google 'Images' and type Isle of Harris and Isle of Lewis to have a small sample of the beauty.

5. Re: Guided tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2006, 22:14
6. Re: Guided tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 12:22