We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland movie locations

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Topic
Scotland movie locations

Came across this fantastic link while poring over the Scotsman online edition and thought it would be of interest to Scotland-bound travel(l)ers:

news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm…

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland movie locations

Livinglife: Interesting link. I've seen many of those movies. Really liked Dear Frankie.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland movie locations

Hi, Lee. So many of the movies listed were filmed in Glasgow...which we had to skip due to time constraints. Also missed seeing Blackness Castle :-(

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland movie locations

Livinglife: Hmm, Blackness Castle is now on my places to visit in future. And since you missed Glasgow on your last trip, well, I hope you'll be able to visit it on your next trip.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland movie locations

I hope so, too, Lee. And if you can manage to fit it in your schedule, don't miss Castle Tioram. Just getting to it is an adventure and once you are there, you can access the castle only at low tide...we were simply lucky because we didn't know this fact prior to our visit! The castle is closed to visitors because its not considered safe while its fate is being decided. But one can climb up to its outer walls and walk around most of its perimeter ( with care). I'm getting goosebumps just writing about it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland movie locations

Livinglife: I just did a search of various websites and it looks awesome. You are lucky to have been able to visit it!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland movie locations

I remember as a child ( was it really 1969 - gulp!) watching the filming of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie at Edinburgh Academy - great excitement!

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland movie locations

That is an excellent link, Livinglife!

I too love Castle Tioram. Was there ever a more atmospheric location for a castle? I think not. It's not so very long ago that it was perfectly possible to scramble all over the ruins, before they were fenced off for 'safety' reasons.

http://tinyurl.com/twsng

In Rob Roy (1995) Liam Neeson jumps into the Witches Pool by the Caig Falls near Achnacarry. All around the Loch Arkaig area is beyond beautiful:

http://tinyurl.com/yxkpzx

http://tinyurl.com/y3ddjf

The Ken Loch film 'Sweet Sixteen' (2002) is excellent. Very moving. The young male lead, Martin Compston, is outstanding:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

I love films :-)

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland movie locations

Thanks for all the great links, Snow. Now I'll just have to come back to Scotland to explore the Dark Mile...we missed that completely :-(

Haven't seen Sweet Sixteen but will add it to my movie list. How lucky you all are to live in Scotland..sigh.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland movie locations

Really super link thanks Livinglife - especially interesting to see films like 2001 had Scottish links - i never would have guessed.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotland movie locations

You're welcome, Fif. Yes, I never would have guessed either! You guys have a gem in the Scotsman ( well, the online version is what's available to me)..it has so many wonderful articles.