We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here's a silly question...

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Here's a silly question...

I don't play golf, but I have relatives that are nuts about it!

I think I heard that St. Andrews is the most famous for it, but it's popular in other places as well such as Stirling or Inverness?

Okay... the silly question... are there miniture golf courses there? I think it would be a hoot to play miniture golf with my hubby and son in Scotland! My neice (who nearly went pro at one time) would probably get a kick out of seeing those pictures! Yes, it would be a fun novelty, on the other hand, miniture golf in Scotland may be a ghastly underground sport only practiced by the most uncouth of sociopaths! What do I know? ;-)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here's a silly question...

There is a putting green right beside the first tee of the Old Course at St Andrews. Its only about £1 to play and should take about half an hour. Theres another along the road called the Himalayas. Bit more demanding but great fun.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Here's a silly question...

if you are going to be in Edinburgh there is a mini-golf course (we call it pitch&putt) on Brunstfield links not far form the city centre.It is said to be one of the first golf courses in Scotland and used by King James VI. You can hire a couple of clubs there and there are some great views of the city from the links,The excellent Golf Tavern is nearby to refresh yourselves afterwards.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here's a silly question...

Hi

The miniature putting course in St Andrews called the Himalayas is a definite must play! It is by no means flat - so it can be hard to work out where the ball is going to go - lots of families were out in the sun when I was there, just enjoying it. (plus st andrews is such a lovely town that I'm sure you'd love visiting it - and you would have played in the 'home of golf'!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here's a silly question...

Never heard of Stirling or Inverness associated with golf, but putting and pitch and putt are popular pastimes (or were). Many towns have courses.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here's a silly question...

Personally I think that golf is "a guid walk, spoilt" but golf is probably one of the top three religions in Scotland. It's a handy use for land that's too bumpy to build a heritage centre on.

Stirling has Stirling Golf Club on the historic King's Park, Airthrey Golf Course is a nine-hole par 27 course at the University, and there's a family golf centre at Brucefields.

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/where_to_play

Here's a list of golf courses in the Loch Lomond area:

http://www.loch-lomond.net/golf/index.html

List of miniature/crazy golf in Scotland at

www.miniaturegolfer.com/sco_courses.html

There's one at Kings Park (in the council operated part of the park, not the golf club AFAIK)

I *think* there may be one at Airthrey too but can't find it on the web. Maybe it's only a putting green.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here's a silly question...

There are also crazy golf courses around as well if you are really just wanting a laugh. It isn't really proper golf - more like an obstacle course with golf clubs and balls. I seem to remember you saying something about staying at the Coylumbridge Hotel. They have crazy golf - indoors and outdoors. I think the leisure centre at Bught Park in Inverness has one too. The following site gives contact details for mini golf and crazy golf.

www.miniaturegolfer.com/sco_courses.html

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here's a silly question...

Sorry Bob you already mentioned that:)

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Here's a silly question...

"Personally I think that golf is "a guid walk, spoilt" but golf is probably one of the top three religions in Scotland. It's a handy use for land that's too bumpy to build a heritage centre on."

Lol! Bobelinks, you always come up to par.

aviemore
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here's a silly question...

steer clear of coylum its a dive

10. Re: Here's a silly question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 01:15