We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking water

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
drinking water

Is the tap water in Scotland good for drinking or should we only drink bottled water (as advised in other countries)?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
50,815 posts
76 reviews
188 helpful votes
11. Re: drinking water

Scotland has some of the best water in the world that is why they bottle it and also make it into one of the world's favourite tipples.

So yes perfectly safe to drink.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
16 reviews
30 helpful votes
12. Re: drinking water

Some places e.g. on trains or in portaloos have non safe tap water but rhese will have a sign that looks lije a tap with a cross over it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27,265 posts
103 reviews
157 helpful votes
13. Re: drinking water

I'm sorry, Hamish..... I've just realised that to many Scotsmen, water in whisky is an abomination!

Best regards, " Single Mon" !!

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
14. Re: drinking water

Gee thanks for all of the information. We are looking forward to drinking water (and malt) in Scotland.

:)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
130 reviews
117 helpful votes
15. Re: drinking water

When in India a long time ago, I recall brushing my teeth entirely with Scotch : no water at all, bottled nor tap

Level Contributor
3 posts
82 reviews
36 helpful votes
16. Re: drinking water

Its completely safe

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
223 reviews
102 helpful votes
17. Re: drinking water

It's safe to drink tap water from anywhere in Europe. People who buy bottled water are paying a lot of money for a plastic bottle.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
233 reviews
183 helpful votes
18. Re: drinking water

2 additional points -

- I always drink water even if 'peaty', assuming it's from a fresh supply. As a child in the western highlands it was pretty standard for our tap water to look like cold tea!

- in restaurants it is perfectly acceptable to ask for 'tap water', and you will get a glass or a jug of fresh tap water for free.

Abs :)

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
19. Re: drinking water

soft water not healthy , we should drink water must be proportion minimum 50mg magnesium and 150 calcium

and ph minimum 7,6 !!!

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
20. Re: drinking water

SOFT WATER NOT HEALTHY -healthy water must have proportion like this : 50mg magnesium/150 calcium

next: must have minimum ph 7,6 !

you need go to market and look arround , i buy it pellegrino or the chippest water in asda for 17 p -this two waters have ph 7,8 - but st pellegrino much more minerals

cooking on the cheap water in asda , sometimes buy and drink st pellegrino .

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.