We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Connecticut
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Hello,

I'm planning to be in Scotland for 10 days in February with my teenage daughter and am hoping for any advice as far as where to go and what to do.

I'm flying into Edinburgh and have heard that Perth is a lovely city, but that's as far as I've gotten!

Much appreciated,

Andrew

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Hi Irene

will you be hiring a car? What sort of things are you interested in?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Andrew

Where do I begin...well congratulate you on your choice of holiday destination for a start!

Here are a few ideas....

Perth - once the capital of Scotland and the ancient site of the crowning of the Kings of Scotland - 42 Scottish Kings were crowned on the Stone of Destiny near here. Perth is sometimes called the smallest city in the world because it is built between two inches - the North Inch and the South Inch on the river Tay. (Inch is an old Scots word for an island) today they are large areas of parkland with mature trees giving the town a green heart.

In the surrounding area....

Aberfeldy – This little town sits almost exactly in the centre of Scotland. The town grew up around Wade’s Bridge, the first bridge built across the River Tay in 1733 by the English General and next to the bridge is the Black Watch Monument which commemorates the first muster of this famous Scottish Regiment in 1740. At nearby Fortingall you can visit the oldest living thing in Europe which is the 3000- 5000 year old Yew tree. One of the most northerly Roman camps in Britain was here and legend has it that Pontius Pilate was born here.

We also have the tallest beech hedge in the world at Meikleour - it is over 30m high and was planted in 1746.

Dunkeld- a pretty little town on the banks of the Tay ( it is Scotland's longest river) with an ancient cathedral begun in the 12C - the Taybank Hotel here is often the scene of lively nights of folk music.

North of Dunkeld is the Hermitage which is a lovely easy walk complete with folly! Be sure to look out for the elusive red squirrel.

The town of Crieff is 17 miles West of Perth and you can visit Scotland's Oldest Distillery just outside Crieff at the Famous Grouse Experience and from there take a drive up to Loch Turret which is hidden in the hills. . Loch Turret has been expanded by the building of a dam and this act flooded an old shooting lodge that Robert Burns had visited centuries ago.

7 miles west of Crieff is the lovel town of Comrie ( slightly biased here!) things to see and do here are the Earthquake House, climb Dunmore Hill to the Melville Monument, walk the Glen Lednock circular walk through beautiful beech woods and visit the Deil's (Devils) Cauldron where the River Lednock rushes through a narrow gully in the rock especially good after wet weather. If you fancy a bit of hill climbing then you can climb Ben Chonzie from the head of Glen Lednock it is 931m and is one of Scotland's Munroes( hills over 3000feet)Another few miles west is St Fillans and Loch Earn, the loch is spectacular and will give you a real taste of the Highlands.

Pitlochry to the North of Perth is another pleasant place to visit and is a good place to shop for those essential souvenirs to take back to

the US with you. If you are interested in Scotland's national drink Whisky there are two distilleries here Edradour which is Scotland's smallest and Blair Athol - North of Pitlochry is Blair Atholl the town ( not to be confused with the distillery) has the impressive Blair Castle home to the Dukes of Atholl since 1269 - limited opening in the Winter so check before you go.

I hope this has given you a taster of what Perthshire has to offer and if you visit the website www.perthshire.co.uk that will give you more ideas and contact numbers for the tourist information centres in the area who can help with any other information you require.

I am sure some of the Edinburgh folk will be on with ideas on visiting the capital but if you have any more queries post on here I check most days and i will be delighted to help where I can.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Edinburgh is certainly worth spending a few days in.You will not need a car in the city.loads to see and do whatever the weather.There are some great city bus tours www.lothianbuses.co.uk will give you details.

this link will give you lots of other ideas and at least get you statred on your plans,there are also lots of links on this site to many of Edinburghs attractions.

www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/onroyalmile.html

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Fofoma - well done

Andrew - follow her advice, Perthshire is a great place to base youself for a scottish eperience.

February - snowdrop festival www.visitscotland.com/snowdrops

for more info

birdwatching - a lot of migrating birds spend the winter in scotland

Vane Farm Nature Reserve or Montrose Basin are great places to

go and do a spot of birdwatching

skiing - not as grandiose as whistler - but we had snow and more is most likely to come. Glenshee Ski Resort is only about 20 miles from Perth. Skis/Boards etc can be rented for theday.

With a bit of driving, you can easy do day tours from Perth and see places

St. Andrews & East Neuk of Fife

Stirling, Wallace Monument, Bannockburn Battlefield

Glasgow - shopping is great, Kelvingrove museum reopend a short while ago and alread had 2 million visitors

Dundee, go up the coast to Carnoustie & Arbroath return via yet another distillery in Fettercairn

endless possibilities

enjoy

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Difficult to top all that great advice!

My teen daughter adores Glasgow - for shopping, especially on the quirky bohemian Byres road in the West End for handmade jewellery and vintage clothes, and Glasgow's indie music scene - she's a regular gig goer. She also loves the Transport Museum and has made me promise to take her to the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow's West End very soon - it is one of the most popular museums in the whole country, and set in a pleasant park.

Edinburgh is another huge favourite of her and her pals - nothing better than nosing around Harvey Nicks gazing longingly at the clothes, going on a ghost walk or a walking tour, trudging up and down the hills exploring the shops and closes and looking for bargain eats, taking lots of photos and waiting for the one o'clock gun from the castle, sampling and buying fudge on the Royal Mile. There may be some kind of show on when you're here too - check out www.list.co.uk for entertainment in Edinburgh and Glasgow. For a visit to either of these cities a car will be a hindrance and public transport is excellent, so you could start and finish here and hire a car in-between for a bit of a tour. Glasgow is just one hour by frequent train service from Edinburgh - good bus service too.

A visit to Rosslyn Chapel (it featured in the Da Vinci Code book and movie) is possible from Edinburgh by bus and it should be fairly quiet at the time of year compared to high season. Over in my part of the world on the west coast (an hour by bus, train or car south of Glasgow) things are fairly quiet at this time of year, though there is still plenty to do. Have a peek at my Inside Pages which will give you an overview of what Ayrshire has to offer (castles, coastline, history, Robbie Burns Birthplace and Heritage Park).

Have fun!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

PS what are your dates Andrew - will check if there is anything special going on that you might like?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

East Lothian is worth a visit, particularly if you're inot golf. See this Inside Page - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186525-c51857/Edinbu…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

East Lothian is worth a visit, particularly if you're into golf. See this Inside Page - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186525-c51857/Edinbu…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

Fofoma,unclegus,tomjunior,purpleceltic-

Thank you all for your great advice.

I plan on staying in Perth for the first few days, then on to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Can anyone recommend a charming, classy hotel in a good central location for walking in any of these cities?

From there I would like to rent a car and do some driving in some areas that you all suggested and possibly along the coast.

Does anyone know if it is possible to stay in castles?

Also any recommendations for a visit to Skye at this time of year?

Many thanks ,

Andrew

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for what to see and do in February in Scotland

We've booked Langs Hotel for Glasgow abotu 90 quid a night including breakfast....really excited about that

Booked 53 Frederick St which is a B&B right in the heart of town.

Not sure about Perth though