We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Berwick or Pittenweem??

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
North Berwick or Pittenweem??

I am taking my family to Scotland in early July. We have been before, and really want to focus on just one or two places this trip, specifically, the upper Borders/Lothian, and the region around Glamis down to Fife. We've decided to rent a cottage or a flat for most of our stay, and have narrowed it down to either North Berwick or Pittenween. We'll need to take the train into Edinburgh for one day of business, otherwise we plan to tour by car.

With that in mind, can someone help me choose a town to use as base? I am really torn. We won't be golfing, so that's not a factor. We don't mind long hauls in the car, and are used to Scotland's roads. We like to walk along the water, and shop for antiques, books, and prints. We eat out a lot, but nothing too fancy, pub grub or one notch higher. We like a vibrant village, and we stroll a lot in the evenings. Any advice??? Thanks.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

MizLiz

As you like antiques - you must pay the Rait Antique Centre a visit - it isn't too far if you stay in Pittenweem. It is just off the main Perth to Dundee road and it is a collection of 15 or so little antique stalls which is a lovely way to while away a few hours and they have a nice cafe as well...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

Doing my bit for North Berwick again. It has 1 or 2 antique shops to browse round.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

Well . . . the saga continues. After plotting our "most wanna see" sites, and taking in all your kind advice, I decided to go with Pittenween. And now the cottage rental agency isn't responding. I've been emailing since the 28th, and finally tried their automated form, but it was dead. I think they must have gone out of business.

Would St. Monan's or Anstruther be just as nice? They have some nice cottages, too.

Thank you.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

Any of those villages would be great. Look also at Elie and Earlsferry. What agency are you having trouble with? Someone here might be able to help. Don't panic - there are dozens of agencies renting hundreds of properties along that bit of coast.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

One of our favourite restaurants is in St Monans www.theseafoodrestaurant.com

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

Hi MizLiz

I'm a native of North Berwick, though I've lived in Edinburgh for 25 years. I'd say either NB or Pittenweem would make an excellent choice but each for different reasons, as other posters have pointed out. I guess you'll just have to decide what suits you best.

You might be interest to read a bit more about East Lothian. I wrote an Inside Page for TA, which you can read here tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186525-c51857/Edinbu…

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

And the winner is . . . <drum roll, please> . . . CRAIL.

Thank you all so much for your help. We are saving North Berwick for our next trip, and are already excited. As to pretty Pittenween, I just couldn't find a house there that would work for us. Wow, I can't believe how properties book up -- I started looking in January!

So, we've let a lovely house in Crail from some lovely people, and we are just so excited. We really appreciate all the tips on things to see and do in Fife -- especially those antique shops! I can already tell this is going to be one of our best vacations ever.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

You will love staying in the East Neuk have a great trip and happy antique hunting :-)

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

While in Fife, be sure to take a stroll through Falkland. It's my all time favourite village anywhere. The palace, althought small, is beautiful and historically interesting. When done with the palace, I like to go across the street to get a pie and munch on it as I walk up and through the little streets. And I admore climbing to the top of east Lomond hill to get a birds eye view of the village.

You can't go wrong with Crail either. It's a beautiful place. All this talk makes me jealous already. Not sure if I am gonna get to go back this year.

UK
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: North Berwick or Pittenweem??

try to visit the Secret Bunker - just outside Anstruther.