We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

I and 3 other adults are spending 4 days in Edinburgh this August for the Military Tatoo and I would like to spend some time in Aberdeenshire, where many of my Adam ancestors are from. Any tours or suggestions as to where to go, what to see, and how to get there? We are attempting to avoid renting a car, prefering mobile tours or trains, etc.

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

The obvious one would be Aberdeen itself - art gallery, museum, shops, theatre, restaurants, even a city bus tour to talk you through the sights.

Enjoy! But, if you'd like to see a bit more countryside, there are coach tours from Aberdeen, too.

Enjoy!

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

The train journey from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is really straight forward and quite pretty (well I think so anyway). It takes roughly 2.5 hours.

You can book your tickets up to 13 weeks in advance and you'll get better fares the earlier you book them.

As the last poster said you can do some tours from Aberdeen itself if you want. I've never used them, but this is the one in the window of the Tourist Information Office if you fancy seeing some castles. www.castle-tours.co.uk/scheduled-tours.html Although they only seem to run at the weekend.

There's enough in the city itself to keep you busy for a day though.

If you wanted to see Dunnottar Castle, you could get off the train at Stonehaven which is only a couple of stops before Aberdeen.

It has a nice harbour and good pubs and restaurants too.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

you could also hire a local guide ,the tourist office will have details iam sure there was a guy last year doing tours of aberdeen city for £40 for the whole day .do not no if he will be it this year .but its a option for you and you party .you can send a e mail to vist scotland and they will get in touch with all tours and guides for you ,they in turn will get back to you with any info .hope you have a great time

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

These tours are run by Whytes, who have a good reputation, though I've never used them.

http://www.scotlandexplorer.co.uk/

Local bus services -

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

Do you want to visit the City of Aberdeen only or do you want to visit outwith the City into Aberdeenshire? Do you know where in Aberdeenshire your ancestors came from?

Did you know that the surname Adam is a sept (follower) of The Gordon clan which means your tartan would be the Gordon tartan.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

Great advice above about the 'castle' tours by previous posters. Aberdeenshire probably has the best concentration of beautiful castles in the world in such a relatively small area, and although I know nothing about the tours, the sheer number of stunningly impressive castles makes me think that one of the tours would be time well spent. Dunnottar, as mentioned above, is worth a visit for the scenery alone, irrespective of the castle. And then you've got the Cairngorms National Park, Speyside, (beautiful areas) and all the whisky distilleries, so I assume there will be organised tours to them. Wildlife tours are also abundant... there's a lot to see up there! :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

Crathes Catsle Gardens are amazing, nearby is a steam train ride too. The Music Hall in Aberdeen does a great afternoon tea at a bargin price too. The drive to Tomintoul is beautiful and you can wander off the beaten track there to explore Ballater (the Queens Scottish residence). I dont know what Nationality you are and you might not really want to visit the historical stuff. if not a trip to Stonehaven is always lovely and if you want golf then there is Lossiemouth golf course which is superb and has amazing views over the Moray Firth. If you are going up that far then you dhould visit Findhorn and Nairn. Nairn has a hotel called Boath House which does fabulous lunches and also a bargin too x If you like your whisky then the Glenfiddich has a good tour for free, but the best tour we have been on is the Aberlour one.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186488-…

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

Thanks, that gives me a lot of ideas. We will be making a pilgrimage to St. Andrews while we are in Edinburgh before traveling north. I am sure the men will want to visit at least one of the whisky distilleries along the way, if not more. My friend and I will want to walk the trails, beach and the shopping of Scotland. I hope to pick up some Gordon tartan for myself and my family, though the McInnes man I married might object to the price! I hope to see at least one of the castles, perhaps even one designed by an Adam....there is so much to see, I am at a loss where to start, though I am taking plenty of notes! We will be driving randomly and will perch for the night wherever we find ourselves, but I would like to stop in some of the more interesting places and eat well. Unfortunately, while the men would love to golf, we will not have room for the clubs on the plane from New Mexico. It might be fun seeing real rain, not much of that here, especially lately....

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

I recommend once you get to Aberdeen,take a train to Keith,then catch the old fashioned steam train to Dufftown and go to the glenfiddich distillery,tour is free and at end of tour you get a free dram,you can't miss not finding the distillery because the air is filled with the smell of whiskey. Dufftown is a nice place to visit,it has also a great whiskey shop and has a great golf course too.

10. Re: Day trip to Aberdeenshire area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2016, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeenshire