We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Republic

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Republic

Just had £226 taken off my credit card by Travel Republic without my permission.

This is a SCAM - do NOT use them ever ever!!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Republic

Revealing post thanks :) Care to elaborate?

These guys? www.travelrepublic.co.uk/default.aspx…

Edited: 04 June 2013, 12:49
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Republic

Third time posting the same thing. Got a reply from Travel Republic more than a week ago.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k64660…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k653…

Booked a room, paid deposit, didn't cancel - as per T&C's card was charged.

OP: Please stop posting the same story every time you stop and think about it. Move on.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Republic

There's a nice lady from Travel Republic offering to help you on this thread - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k653…

Did you contact her? Was it helpful?

Northants
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Republic

I have been using Travel Republic for several years as have other members of my family, so far no problems, just very helpful staff and great holidays.

london
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Republic

i have used travel republic in april this year,have heard of them and know they are popular, but if you have any probs or queries dont expect them to rush and help you. I normally book through travel agents i.e. thomson or through trip advisor themselves, but this time booked a resort with TR i received there confirmation which i paid £1 deposit, explained my special requests, (husband had motor neurone syndrome and requested walkin shower and ground floor. When the hotel voucher came and the rest of my money took,the special requests were still not ammended i phoned them and was told ok. thought thats fine. When we got to the resort in tenerife no requests were mentioned only ground floor.

It was a terrible appartment and had only one offer to make. When back home i tried to phone them or write to them that is near impossible, when i eventually found a person to write too , i was told the accommodation provider had ceased trading in february and was nothing to do with them in so many words. I argued the case that they new from february about my husbands condition but they were adamant , and we could do nothing about it . but they could have notified the accommodation provider. went to abta but nog

Northants
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Republic

Did you pay by credit card? If so you may be able to get a refund if you contact the credit card company.

london
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Republic

they wouldnt budge i wrote to them several times, they take weeks to answere each letter and refuse to take some responsibility, given up

Northants
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Republic

They should give you a full refund bearing in mind your circumstances. Have you thought about emailing one of the BBC programmes like watchdog, rip off Britain or don't get done get Dom? They are quite helpful in cases like these, also I would contact citizens advice online they are very helpful too. My sister in law had the same condition as your husband so I can understand how difficult things can be. My advice is not to give up just yet, I know how stressful it can be but don't let them get away with it.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Republic

RealMcKay has made 4 posts on 4 forums, only ever about Travel Republic, and hasn't responded to any of the comments made on previous threads.

This particular posts doesn't explain any of the circumstances of putting down a £1 deposit for a 'temporary booking' - which puts a different light on the money charged to his card.

TR's terms and conditions are pretty harsh. It seems a 'temporary' booking isn't temporary, and you have to pay by the deadline or forgo a full deposit - forgetting to cancel has financial implications. Not just the £1.

10. Re: Travel Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 10:05
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeenshire