We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

an afternoon in Aberdeen

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
an afternoon in Aberdeen

Hi,

I am very excited about coming to Aberdeen in a few weeks, for the very first time! As I will be there for work, I won't have much time but looking at my schedule, I should have the better part of an afternoon (from 4pm) and evening + another evening the next day to explore a bit of the city.

I am staying at teh Craibstone Suites, which are recommened as the 2nd best B&B / guesthouse. Am I right to assume they are pretty much in the centre and that I can walk from there through the old centre? Is the city itself walkable? With my limited time, I am not planning to visit any museums or galleries but I would really like to get a feel of the town and also walk down to the beach / harbour. Can I do that on foot or do I need to use public transport?

Are there any recommended walking tours of the city that I can download somewhere?

Thanks

G

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

Enter "Craibstone Suites Aberdeen" into Google Maps. This will show you their location in Aberdeen and an indication of how far you will need to walk to reach the beach, harbour area, old Aberdeen. Asssuming you enjoy walking and are prepared to walk for 2-3 hours (sorry that is not meant to sound patronising) all are within walking distance. Alternatively get a cab out and walk back. Aberdeen is a lovely city and does repay walking.

Craibstone Suites may well have a city map abd be able to recommend a nice walking route for you.

Eleanor

Scotland
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

G31, you are not far from the main street in the city, Union Street. Should only take you 5 minutes to get there from Craibstone Suites. Plenty of shops/restaurants/cafes/bars etc once on Union Street but you are nearer the top end so it is a bit of a walk to the beach. If you walk towards the far end of Union Street (towards king street), maybe a 15 minute walk, you will get to The Castlegate, from there i would say its another 20mins walk to the beach maybe even slightly longer. Not sure of which bus takes you from union street down to the beach area.

On the way to The Castlegate there are a few shopping centres, one called Trinity Centre which is at the Bridge Street junction, and a wee bit further down and across the road is Belmont Street which is quite nice, a few bars/cafes there and also a nice shopping centre called The Academy. Some more trendy shops in there. If you continue along Belmont Street to the end which takes you onto Schoolhill you will see the Robert Gordon college. A bit further down Schoolhill you will walk in between the other 2 shopping cnetres Bon Accord on your left and St Nicholas on your right. Past them and at the top of the road is upperkirkgate/Broad Street where you will find Marischal College (apparently the 2nd largest granite building in the world).

Oh also missed out the Galleria which is just round the corner from where you're staying, on Bon Accord Street, a small shopping centre.

I'm sure there are a fair few things i have missed but at least it gives you a starter for 10.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

If walking along the beach i would recommend a stop off at one of the cafes on the beach front. My fav is the Sand Dollar Cafe. Continuing along the beach towards the harbour and at the end you come to Footdee which is nice to wander around.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

thanks for all the suggestions, will taken them with me and let you know how I got on.

G

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

Hi,

just wanted to say thank you again for the suggestions of what to do / see in Aberdeen. I spent a few days in Aberdeen last week and just wanted to share my impressions with you.

When arriving at the airport you can actually pick up different walking guides for Aberdeen (historic Aberdeen, granite Aberdeen ...) I forgot the names of the brochures but there are 3 different ones which have a city map and 15 - 20 places for you to visit. Very useful.

I stayed at the Craibstone Suites (great place, see my review). It is very central, just 3 minutes away from Union Street. There are plenty of buses along Union Street, they seem to go frequently. I didn't find out which one went to the beach and walked down there via Union Street and Castle Gate. Not the nicest walk once you leave the centre behind you as you are right next to a busy road (or in an industrial estate). The beach itself is quite lovely and very clean, although I am surprised that there is a major road just next to it.

I didn't get to see much else in Aberdeen, went into a few shopping centres which were comparatively small. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes everywhere and people are very friendly, although the accent was a challenge for me, sometimes. There are 2 fantastic Waterstone bookshops on Union Street, much better than the one in Nottingham. Funny thing though that the books that are sold in the romance section here in Nottingham, are in the horror section in Aberdeen ... I do wonder what that says about either people from Nottingham or Abderdeen ;o)?

The area around Aberdeen looked so inviting but I didn't get a chance to venture outside the city. Maybe another time.

G

6. Re: an afternoon in Aberdeen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 05:38
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen
Recent Conversations