We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights in/around Aberdeen

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sights in/around Aberdeen

I am going to be in Scotland for a month of golf / castles / distilleries. I have all my golf booked. Now I am looking into the other sites/attractions.

Can anyone help out with what interesting sights I should plan on taking in while I am in Aberdeen for a few days of golf? I'll have a car, so can get to somethings in the general area.

The plan is 1/2 day of golf and 1/2 day of sightseeing. Without knowing much at all, my mind is gravitating towards castles and distilleries (if appropriate for this area of the country).

I'll be posting similar inquiries to the forums for the other areas of Scotland I'll be traveling to!

Thanks,

Joe

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights in/around Aberdeen

If you travel West out of Aberdeen you'll find plenty of castles, and it's a really nice drive. Crathes Castle is the first one you reach, then Drum castle just outside Drumoak and Balmoral Castle (Scottish home to the Royal family)is between Ballatar and Braemar. Braemar's about 60 miles from Aberdeen.

There's maybe distilleries out that way too, but I'm not a whisky drinker so don't really know.

You could also try Stonehaven, 15 miles south of Aberdeen. It has Dunnottar Castle which is a clifftop ruin and was used in the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet. The harbour in Stonehaven is really nice as well and there's some good places to eat.

Have a look here:

http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/stonehaven/

There's a distillery in Fettercairn which is about 20 mins South West of Stonehaven. I've actually been to that one. It's quite small but I thought it was interesting, and Fettercairn's quite a cute wee village.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights in/around Aberdeen

Have you seen this site?

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/

Up on the north coastline there are some quaint villages - Pennan (where local hero was filmed), Crovie, Portsoy and Cullen. If it is a nice day then these are good spots to take in. Balmoral Castle (The Queen's summer residence) is an easy part-day trip. Loch Muick and Lochnagar are great for walkers.

Plenty of castles in this area. See link -

aberdeen-grampian.com/pdf/Castle-Trail.pdf

Head out to Peterhead if you want to see a working fishing port.

Enjoy your trip.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights in/around Aberdeen

Thanks for all the info! Just perfect!

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights in/around Aberdeen

I'd heartily endorse CapnHef.

Dunottar and Stonehaven are superb and the distillery at Fettercairn offers free tours and is a pretty good malt as well. The village is also home to Fasque House which was the birthplace of Gladstone and also has royal connections through the Queen Mother.

A few miles from Fettercairn is the village of Edzell which also has a castle, a very good parkland golf course and is ideal for visiting a few of the Angus Glens such as Esk and Lethnot. It is very much an under-rated tourist area I think!

5. Re: Sights in/around Aberdeen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen
Recent Conversations