We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Hello, wanted to ask the locals a question. Family of mine has just set off to come and live in Aberdeen from Trinidad and Tobago. I imagine this is going to be quite a culture shock for them (not to mention living through their first winter)

I would like to know about some good local spots that are "MUST" tries, as well as some good places to find a curry or a kebab or any west indian groceries or restaurants. Just in case they get home sick.

Thanks so much!

-UF

Kemnay...
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Hi, a very popular curry house in Aberdeen is the Jewel in the Crown which is on Crown street. Not sure about grocery stores I'm afraid.

Hope this helps

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

West Indian food marts can be found on George street which is at the back of the John Lewis department store and St Nicholas shopping centre. Not the greatest selection but will give you some home comforts! For a curry try Cinnamon on Union street or Blue Moon on Holburn street both very good. Kebabs can be found on Rose street off Union street amongst other areas.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Nargile have 2 very good Turkish restaurants in Aberdeen - one on Skene Street, and a smaller but very attractive one - Rendevous at Nargile, just west of the city centre. Really good flavours and friendly staff. As a veggie, their vegetarian vezir is great for sharing - but meat eaters get a good selection too.

Regarding must try foods - they can't go to aberdeen without trying butteries - think of them as flattened round croissants and you'll come close. Served warm and buttered they're just what you need to cheer a dreich winter day.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

If they want to get a feel for the great coast line that Donald Trump was blown away with, take a trip to Newburgh (about 15 miles north on the A90) When they get into the town and hit the T junction turn left and drive for about 1.5 miles_over the bridge and they will see a car park on the right hand side. Park up and follow the walk. Keep right along the sea front and walk for about 1 mile until they hit the sand dunes, I have lived here all my life and still go WOW when i reach the dunes. You will only understand when you see the view. There are many private beaches in these walks also and great Scottish wildlife.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

To expand on butteries or rowies are they are sometimes known avoid any from supermarkets,which are mass produced and bland. The best (by a long way are from Aitkens - they have shops in Holburn Street and John Street (which is off George Street).

There is a West Indian grocers in The New Market (off Union Street / Market Street), tho' the selection is rather small.

here&there
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

The best curry in town by a mile can be had at The Shish - formerly the Brig Inn. It sits on the other side of the Bridge over the mouth of the River Don as you head out from King Street on the road North towards Balmedie.

and ditto...... Aitkens rolls are the best!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Tesco supermarket has a small Caribean food shelf.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

abbergem has exemplary taste.

If you do go to the Shish you must have the naan bread it is by far the best in Aberdeen.

...and don't forget your Haggis - Cost Cutter in Cults do the wonderful Cockburn of Dingwall's Haggis.

UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

Duthie Park in Aberdeen is very pleasant for picnics, a walk, canoes and swing park for children and also has the Winter Gardens (hot under the glass even in the winter).

Lahore Karahi is a good every day diner on King Street (you can check my review).

Also for great scottish food the Cock & Bull restaurant beside Balmedie is worth a visit.

Stonehaven is good for the Tolbooth fish restaurant and there are some good fish and chip shops dotted around the coast - with the Ashvale being pretty good in Holburn Street Aberdeen.

Aberdeen is actually a great shopping city (they are building another new shopping centre beside the train station).

Not to forget the Aberdeen beach for a walk and lots of little cafes and eating places.

Lots of nice seaside places up and down the coast too can be explored.

UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of Aberdeen restaurants

oh and a drive up deeside is beautiful scenery. Balmoral Castle (The Royal Family's Scottish Residence) is worth a visit with acres and acres of walks where you can see deer cross your path.

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen