We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Help needed

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Help needed

I need advice from locals i need a romantic spot anywhere in the city or on the close outskirts for a proposal.It will be at night so she needs to be able to see the ring!any help would be much appreciated any suggestions are welcome.Thanks

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Help needed

Oh my, there was a similar question on Edinburgh Forum recently and they had lots of good ideas!

You say it will be in the evening - is it soon - as in, will it still be dark and cold for anything outside? Or are you thinking indoors?

What sort of things do you both like - good food - restaurant? Or did you meet somewhere special that you could replicate?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Help needed

Are we thinking indoors here? At this time of year outdoors is likely to have her focusing on the temperature rather than romance!

A moonlit walk up Bennachie?

A twilight stroll in the ruins of Dunnottar castle?

Sneaking into the pets corner at hazlehead to watch the animals frollicing in the moonlight...

Would a nice meal somewhere be an option? The Marcliffe at Pitfoldels, Nargile, the Lairhillock Inn (though it is a few years since I've been there).

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Help needed

Sorry I didn't provide enough information!We will be going out for a meal in the early evening go for a drive after so yes if was outside the weather may be a problem!never considered indoors anywhere but im open to all suggestions!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent Help needed

I thought of somewhere like Dunnotar Castle, too, but frankly I'd be terrified visiting at night at this time of year. I don't think you'd see where you were going never mind a ring!

Which month are we talking about here - still winter - or into nice long summer nights?

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent Help needed

We are talking in weeks!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent Help needed

…visitscotland.com/vs/…sights.html

Don't know if above link will work, but if not go to Visit Scotland website then Aberdeen - attractions.

There's a list of categories like castles (Dunnotar), waterfall (Falls of Feugh). See if any kind of place takes your fancy.

Can't think of anywhere quiet and romantic for a dark winter's evening but could you turn it around - arrange a day out , stop for a light lunch, then a nice walk wrapped up cosy to your chosen spot to do the deed in the afternoon, before returning to Aberdeen for a later dinner.

Being winter a lot of places would be nice and quiet - Dunnotar, Falls of Feugh, Bennachie - already mentioned. Another lovely place would be New Aberdour Beach ( near Rosehearty & Fraserburgh) or the top of the ruins at Elgin Cathedral.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent Help needed

One option would be within site of the sea - either at the beech, or right down at Fittie at the mouth of the harbour - when I busied there there were 2 dolphins (or porpoises?) swimming about and it was rather beautiful. There is also the silver darlings restaurant nearby If that is relevant.

Don't know if the winter gardens stay open any evenings? Would be warm!

Good luck - the nights are getting lighter so this may help!

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent Help needed

I guess if it's not raining you could drive somewhere with a nice view.

My suggestion would have been the top of the Bervie Braes at Stonehaven. It's just along from Dunnottar castle and you park beside the path up to the War Memorial. There's a bench there that you can sit on and overlook the harbour and as you're up higher, you can see the surrounding countryside. It's a lovely view of the town. Then you could go to one of the excellent pubs at the harbour for a celebratory drink :)

The only thing that might stop that is that the Berview Braes are slipping, so I'm not sure how far down that road you can get at the moment.

As previously mentioned Bennachie has great views too, but obviously you would have to do that during the day.

Or do you have somewhere that means something to you guys?

It doesn't have to be somewhere with a great view or somewhere posh to be romantic. It could be somwhere that you had a great time, or have a private joke about or something like that. My friend's fiance proposed at Codona's as they'd had one of their favourite days out there. Might not seem great to other people, but she was thrilled becuase it held happy memories for her.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent Help needed

Thanks very much for the response folks much appreciated. I think i have decided where but can't say incase she sees!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent Help needed

Oh, that's not fair!

Give us a clue - have we helped at all?

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen