We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

My husband's job might take us to Aberdeen for 4 years. Though I love exotic travel and visiting Europe, (have spent much time in DK & UK,) I'm not a fan of this move. Especially after reading through Forum posts about the weather (love heat & sunshine) and the city (enjoy cosmopolitan offerings), and though middle age, I don't play golf or bridge. And I worry about leaving behind our 7 yr old beagle due to the rigors of moving and trouble of renting with a dog. Can anyone tell me what it's like now? Or give me tips?

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

In North Berwick we have a cat sitter who comes to the house. You can probably find a dog lover who will fill the bill for you in Aberdeen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

ROFL Ronaldo (re the clip of Peep Peeps). Funny though, I had no trouble understanding everything that was said (well, except for a word here or there from the 'football hooligans', but even most of that I understood). Thanks for the heads up though - next time I'm in Aberdeen, Peep Peeps is not the pub I'll be heading to for lunch (or to spend a penny - those were some of the grottiest loos I've ever seen LOL)

Edited: 16 February 2011, 22:10
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

When we emigrated from Essex to Fife 12 years ago, my company engaged the services of The Shore Porters Society to move us. They have been around since the 15th century and are based in Aberdeen. When the drivers turned up and started speaking to my wife, she burst into tears because she thought all Scots people spoke like that and she wouldn't understand anybody! The Doric accent is truly difficult to understand. I have a great friend from Banffshire and even the Edinburgh folk can't understand him.

london
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

a friend of mine brought his bulldog from Miami to England (yes, I know, bringing a British bulldog the "wrong way" across the Atlantic) ... because he couldn't face boxing up his beloved friend and subjecting him to a flight, he arranged to come across by liner - himself, his partner, and his dog ... on board ship the pets have to stay down in the kennels but they could visit him freely and make sure he was happy ... I believe the cost of doing it this way was very little more than shipping by air but he got a holiday on a liner thrown in

obviously the dog had gone through all the procedure to get the pet passport beforehand

Edited: 16 February 2011, 23:28
Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

The winters may not be grey and dull - think of very cold but blue, blue skies and with a sprinkling of snow(not too much mind!) then everything looks sparkly and wonderful. I have a friend who moved to California and the one thing she missed was the seasons. That's something you could look forward to in Aberdeen - and sometimes you can have all four in one day!!! Having been brought up in St.Andrews you may find the east wind a bit "biting" so as previous posters have suggested you just need to wrap up warm. There is nothing nicer than a bracing walk on a winters day(and you can invest in a cosy jacket for your four legged friend too) then coming in to a warm house and settling down with a nice hot cup of whatever you fancy. Anyway all that Texas sunshine is bad for the complexion you know...!

;-)))

Good luck - keep us posted

Woody x

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Bringing a bulldog by boat...brilliant! I'm quite concerned about the trauma of the air shipping for my dog, so I kind a like that idea. I've even thought of driving him to NY to spare him connecting flights from TX. I may have to look into the ocean liner idea - a bit extreme, but could be fun. Thanks, Cazinatutu.

Woody x, I grew up in Memphis TN and have forgotten how much I mourned the loss of seasons when first coming to TX out of college. You paint a nice picture; it has a charm to it. I guess my fears have been of biting wind, fog and no sunshine for months on end. BLEAK. And we often say in TX when we have 70 degrees and sunny skies on a winter day (like we did today), this is the reason we put up with 100 degrees in July. But then I could save a fortune on sunscreen.

btw I have a pretty good ear for languages, even grew to understand Danish, but Doric, Yikes. Wish I could've gotten into the BBC tutorial, but blocked in US.

My husband flew in from Aberdeen today, all fired up and sounding like all roads lead to the North Sea. Says no deal's are set, but I'm feeling my days are numbered. You folks out there really help with the unknowns...thanks so much, bec

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Try this one then - its an Aberdeen Uni site

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/kist/

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Please, please bring your dog with you if you come. Four years is just too long to be apart from your pal!

I can understand your worries about the cold - but there is something very romantic about being curled up on a winter's evening with the fire/candles glowing, I think you may learn to love it. I don't particularly like the cold, but have to admit I wouldn't like a life without 'seasons'. It's exiting when spring is on it's way and the daffodils and crocus are coming through the hard soil and pushing their heads towards the sky. I live in the north of England, we also get cold harsh winters, but I love spring, then in autumn when the trees change colour - well it's an artists dream.

Go on give it a go - it's only four years, it will take you a long time to explore what Scotland has to offer, the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow are full of things to see and do and the scenery is breathtaking. Just be sure to get yourself some warm clothing and thermal underwear and you'll grow to love it! LOTS of American's visit Scotland every year and many would envy you I think.

Enjoy!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

I'm a 30 year old graduate student from Texas and I moved to Aberdeen in September to attend university. I'd be happy to correspond with you before your move and answer any questions you have, or show you around when you get here. I know what kind of concerns you'll have, having moved so recently myself. Anything to help out fellow Texans :) Drop me a note at happyplace114@yahoo.com if you'd like some help.

Best of luck!

-Kimberly

Southend on Sea
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Just read your blogs and must say it will be a great adventure for you but a bit daunting as well!! We are just considering a holiday break in Scotland, but re. the dog situation, if you cannot bring your own with you think about advertising yourself as a dog walker, you would then have the joy of a dog and meet lots of people at the same time, many people who are going away on trips or just elderly who cannot walk will want someone to give their dogs an outing. Just an idea and I do hope the change of country and climate go OK with you when it happens. Sandy