We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

My husband's job might take us to Aberdeen for 4 years. Though I love exotic travel and visiting Europe, (have spent much time in DK & UK,) I'm not a fan of this move. Especially after reading through Forum posts about the weather (love heat & sunshine) and the city (enjoy cosmopolitan offerings), and though middle age, I don't play golf or bridge. And I worry about leaving behind our 7 yr old beagle due to the rigors of moving and trouble of renting with a dog. Can anyone tell me what it's like now? Or give me tips?

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Looks like we'll be going to Aberdeen in the fall for a two to three year posting. So that sounds exciting and now I have to figure out how to get my dog started on his way to the pet passport or whatever that's called.

After all your different tips and encouraging information, I'm feeling much better about going. I'll be checking in as things arise for more advice.

Thank you for helping me figure this out! bec

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Sandy, what a wonderful idea. There is the possibility that we would leave our pup in Texas with family so I LOVE that idea. Thanks!

Houston TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Hi Kimberly, Just wanted to check in quickly. How nice of you to offer to help. I have a son in graduate school in Denmark. What's your field of study? We would probably be going in September as well, maybe August. One quick question you could help with. I'm looking at spring sales online; do people wear puffy down coats? I really feel the cold and there are good deals right now.Thanks, Bec

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

better to find a shearling coat - leather outside will keep the wind out & fur on the inside will keep you cosy.

when an easterly is really coming off scandinavia & russia, nothing works better.

Puffy down coats look ok but can't match the real thing. learned my lesson in New York & Canada

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Well I really like my down coat - as clearly do a lot of people here. I bought it for hillwalking but once I found how light and cozy it was I was hooked! And I live in Glasgow which is much wetter than Aberdeen.

By the way, I don't know if you get Scottish Field in Texas? It is not my usual read but I noticed there is a good article in the March edition about a committed urbanite novelist who moved to Deeside, west of Aberdeen, to recover from an illness, fell in love with the place and now would not live anywhere else - so beware, the NE of Scotland can get under your skin....

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Now you're in the right frame of mind, I'm sure you'll be happy in Aberdeen - and just think how much easier it will be for you to explore a bit of Europe, never mind the rest of the UK, while you're here!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Hi, I'm glad you are feeling positive about your big move! I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but that whatever happens, it will bring a lot of happy and exciting experiences for you and your husband (and dog!).

Abs :)

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

welcome to the UK bec

as well as thinking of outerwear you might also look into thermal underwear, it's a real boon when it gets cold ... I have cotton ones which are great but then I'm in London where we don't get so much cold weather, but I've heard that silk is good and feels nice against the skin ... check out Lands End http://www.landsend.co.uk/ix/index.html?store=le&action=newSearch&search=thermal+underwear

PS : if you want details of bringing your dog by sea get in touch with me and I'll ask my friend for details of how they did it

Edited: 25 February 2011, 20:58
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Unless you plan on spending all day outside in the winter there should be no need for thermal underwear!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,134 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Moving to Aberdeen from Texas; What will it be like, truly?

Listen North East Quine - my kids come up from Fife to Grantown on Spey and think its cold - let the Texan girl become acclimatised in her thermals - maybe by Winter 2 she won't think its quite so baltic!

;-)))

W x

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen